Ok, I need some menu advice

I_love_frogs
I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
I am looking at clearing out our freezer, and I found a lovely beef roast to cook up.

Now I can do:

beef roast --->roasted in oven with a rub
brussels sprouts <---sauteed with coconut oil and herbs/salt etc on stove

but, I usually make it with mashed potatoes and gravy. What would you all recommend here?

My husband is sorta kinda on keto with me, (he is supporting me but not wanting to give up too many of his favorite carbs) but he dearly loves his mash and gravy. Is there something I can do to use to put over the meat and veg?

Replies

• youdontknowme9
    youdontknowme9 Posts: 73 Member
    I have heard that cauliflower mashed into a mash like potatoes is pretty good.

I personally just cooked a roast, surrounded by mushrooms, onions, and brocolli ( I added them in the last hour). Cooked some rice for the fiancee and he had it sliced on rice with veggies.

NUMMY...

I had mine on a bed of lettuce. It was tasty.
  • Caeyla
    Caeyla Posts: 42 Member
    I second the mashed cauliflower suggestion. Love that stuff!

When I do roast, I like it with celery, onions, mushrooms, and maybe a little carrot. And rutabaga is awesome with it too!
  • I_love_frogs
    Alrighty then I will give it a go this weekend...thanks for the advice!
  • Caeyla
    Caeyla Posts: 42 Member
    Oh I just remembered--if you want to make a "gravy" out of the liquid form the roast, you can cook it down some and add some cream...it can be a bit thin, but it's yummy, and I think most people on keto always have cream on hand. One thing I haven't tried, but have seen mentioned in a bunch of recipes is xanthan gum as a thickener. Supposedly it works great if you can get your hands on some. I haven't done it yet because I can't get it locally and have never gotten around to ordering any online (and I don't want to spend the money lol).
  • southernchiclet
    southernchiclet Posts: 7 Member
    I love garlic mashed cauli! One of my favorite sides is "zoodles" or zucchini noodles sautéed with butter or coconut oil. Maria Emmerich has a great gravy using cream cheese. Throw in a few mushrooms and you've got it!
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    I second the cauliflower mashed potatoes. Before I went low carb and tried them, I didn't even knew I liked cauliflower (was too busy feeding my face bread to even look at a vegetable).

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Cauliflower-Mashed-Potatoes-470345

That's the recipe I use. A food processor helps. I've been doing mine in a blender, and it works, it just is a bit more effort than a food processor. A food processor is what I'm hoping I get for my birthday :)
  • I_love_frogs
    Ok, will try and see....the zuchinni sounds interesting tho as well...so many ideas!!

I am trying so hard to think outside the box :) My husband is so sweet tho... he tries to stay on par for me with diet when he is home with me...he is afraid that if he has something "off menu" I will end up follow suit :) He's a good duy!! At work tho, he is his own thing lol
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I make my chuck roast with roasted potatoes, carrots, onions etc. and just serve it in it's own juices to keep the carbs reasonable. But a traditional gravy thickened with flour is still less than 10g carbs so meat, gravy and a green vegetable is always an option.