Macro settings?

gaelicstorm26
gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
How have you customized your macro settings on MFP? The automatic settings were giving me FAR too many carbs daily. I'm finding that I enjoy a low carb, high fat diet and have seen some results. Suggestions?

Replies

• MissReena73
    MissReena73 Posts: 25
    It was actually one of the first things I adjusted. Although I have to say I found it annoying that I could only adjust my carbs in terms of a percentage. I wanted to set a specific number, but it would not allow me to.

I would really like the ability to be able to automatically subtract the Fibre from the Carb count. Here in Canada you can subtract your fibre from your carbs, so I try to pick higher fibre items, which makes me feel like I can have more carbs. For example, my Dempster's Double My Fibre bread has 30g of carbs for 2 slices, but 12g of that is fibre, so I only need to count the other 18g in my daily goal. It would be nice to be able to set the app to do that for me. There are a lot of days I see my carbs being over when they really are not.

And my biggest suggestion is to talk to a Diabetes Educator to get the correct goals for you. My doctor initially gave me really bad information and unrealistic goals, but a meeting with the Diabetes Association here in town helped me get a lot of it straightened away and made it easer.

I find talking to them will also help you set realistic goals with the fats as well. Diabetes is a risk factor for heart disease, so you have to make sure your higher fat diet is done in a healthy way. Make sure you are increasing the good fats, not the bad ones, or the consequences will far outweigh the benefits. And keep an eye on Sodium as well. That was a big eye opener for me. I didn't realize how much I was consuming a day until I started tracking it.

Good luck with it all!
  • gaelicstorm26
    Thank you! Most of the fats I'm getting are coming from nuts, lean protein (almost always chicken with no skin), and olive oil.(though last night I did have bacon and it was super yum!).
  • MissReena73
    Everything in moderation, including moderation. You do need to treat yourself once in a while, you just have to be smart about it.

My aunt made an amazing carrot spice cake with cream cheese icing for a dinner party I had. Did I have some? Of course! But I tried to watch the other things I ate when I knew I was going to have my treat. And it is really easy to motivate yourself to jump on the treadmill for 30 mins or go for a longer walk when you have a treat waiting for you.
  • gaelicstorm26
    Next weekend will be a challenge and my birthday is this month, so I'm trying to account for that by sticking to my plan for the rest of the month to allow for some variance for the three special events I have coming up! I want to be able to enjoy a cupcake, knowing that I've allowed for it earlier in the month!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    I have my macros set to 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs. That gives me 128g of carbs per day. By no means low carb, but for me it keeps my BG under control. Fasting is 80s to mid 90s most morning and post meal is rarely over 130. It also lets me enjoy some carbs so I don't feel deprived.
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    There must be something wrong with me. I left the Macro Settings alone but I still have trouble eating to any one specific macro goal. I am always low on Protein but the biggest problem is I cannot eat enough Fiber without blowing up my carbs in the process.

Now you have to understand that I was eating over three thousand calories a day prior to my diagnoses. I now try to eat 1800-2200 calories a day which means that everything macro wise sort of falls into place, but is usually short of my goals. I have switched over to a meat and vegetable diet with a huge reduction in refined carbs (white rice, bread, and pasta).

My B/G levels have come down considerably to an average around 112 over the last thirty days so I am not complaining. But do you have any suggestions on what I could do to balance out my diet a little better?

This is going to sound dumb but even though I am getting good results I fell like I am not doing it the right way.
  • MissReena73
    Cabs and FIbre are going to go hand in hand… I know here in Canada we are told to subtract all of the fibre from the carb count. Fibre does not raise blood glucose levels, so it does not "count"' as a carb. Does that mean my carbs look like I am over every day? Yup. Do I let that bother me? Not any more. You have to balance the benefits with what looks like the downfalls.

Alsvic - Just keep picking things that are high in fibre. I pick my double fibre bread over regular white bread. I also buy All Bran Flakes for cereal instead of a lower fibre cereal. Ground flax seed meal can be added to a lot of recipes. Non starchy vegetables, berries, nuts and soybeans are all high in fibre

If you have access to a diabetes educator, or a dietician, make use of them for sure. Everyone is different, and what works for me may not work for you. But I am also learning not to be too hard on myself. That was tough for me to grasp. If everything was not perfect every day, I was really hard on myself. I was seeing good results but felt like I was doing it wrong as well.

Now, I celebrate whatever part of my day is the victory, acknowledge where I need work, and let it go. You should definitely celebrate your levels coming down, and know that there is no "right" or "wrong" way. Any progress you make is good progress, and you can't change the world in a day.

Good luck with it!!!!

(edited for typos)
  • MissReena73
    Next weekend will be a challenge and my birthday is this month, so I'm trying to account for that by sticking to my plan for the rest of the month to allow for some variance for the three special events I have coming up! I want to be able to enjoy a cupcake, knowing that I've allowed for it earlier in the month!

You can also enjoy it and just go for an extra walk afterwards :)

Happy early birthday! I hope you do enjoy the three special events. Everyone has them, everyone splurges once in a while. Give yourself permission to do the same
  • rachelamedley5
    rachelamedley5 Posts: 27 Member
    Have a look at all I dream about is food and there are some great cakes and desserts perfect for a birthday. I love that site!:happy:
  • gaelicstorm26
    I'm not sure about subtracting the fiber from the total carbohydrates. Is that what is called "net carbs"? I see "net carbs" on Atkins stuff all of the time, but was not sure what exactly it meant. When I went to a diabetes counselor in the past (I had Gestational Diabetes with 2 pregnancies) I was given a meal plan that is similar to what I am using now. When I had GD I was strictly diet controlled.

I will check out that site!

Walking/exercise is a wonderful way to get my sugar down after a meal. Now that our weather is getting a bit nicer (despite the 6 inches of rain we got last week), getting some exercise is a lot easier!
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    I'm not sure about subtracting the fiber from the total carbohydrates. Is that what is called "net carbs"? I see "net carbs" on Atkins stuff all of the time, but was not sure what exactly it meant. When I went to a diabetes counselor in the past (I had Gestational Diabetes with 2 pregnancies) I was given a meal plan that is similar to what I am using now. When I had GD I was strictly diet controlled.

I will check out that site!

Walking/exercise is a wonderful way to get my sugar down after a meal. Now that our weather is getting a bit nicer (despite the 6 inches of rain we got last week), getting some exercise is a lot easier!

My blood sugar meter does not believe in net carbs. I like to keep my blood sugar as close to normal as possible. My goal is always 70s and 80s before a meal and nothing over 100. Usually, I meet my goal. But, I have to count All carbs, including fiber. Anything that expands the intestines is going to raise blood sugar (even sand), full stop. If you are one of the lucky ones who can eat more carbs, then I say 'go for it'. Your blood sugar meter will tell you soon enough whether it believes in Net Carbs or not. I hope it does! :)