Vitamins and Shakes - what brands do you like and use?

Options
katematt313
katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
My doctor recommends Bariatric Advantage. They also sell Bariatric Advantage. Thought I would get a second opinion.

Replies

• rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do a blend... Bariatric Advantage for the Shakes (because can mix with hot or cold). And the Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate and vitamin D chews because they're individually wrapped and yummy (easy to toss in a pocket).

I use Unjury for the Strawberry Splendor flavor... 100 cal for 20g protein, more refreshing than choc or vanilla. and their Opurity vitamin because I only need to take one a day and its chewable.

I also do some of the premier protein shakes from Costco that are preblended and very convenient... but the flavor is kind of so so.

Hope this helps!
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think Bariatric Advantages Protien elixir is gross. But I use their Wild Berry Crystals multivitamin and their chewable Iron off and on. I like Shamrock Farms Rockin Refuel Lean Builder protein shakes, I like Muscle Milk Lite protein shakes, I like Celebrate Vitamins ENS protein shakes with multivitamins.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i like store brands, personally ,
    DESIGNER WHEY is awesome ,
    the JILLIAN MICHAELS shakes are good,
    right now i am working through my last tub of
    pure protein whey (chocolate and Vanilla) ( i bought 6 - i had coupons)

i saw some in the store the other day that had peanut butter fudge... that sounds like a must try ..

i get lucky if i dont like them , my kids get them for "dessert" shakes..
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I recently tried Cellucor protein powders. They are so yummy! I mix them with protein-added almond milk that I get from Whole Foods. I tried the Cinnamon Swirl and the Peanut Butter Marshmallow and they were delicious. I plan to try some of their other flavors too.

ETA - I take Trader Joe's high potency chewable multi and Caltrate Calcium with Vitamin D.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Vitamins, I get at Walmart, I did the expensive bariatric ones in the beginning, but my blood work is just as good now so Walmart it is! Gummie multivitamin, 1 serving 2x day, calcium chew 2x day, iron tab 1x day, b12, d3, biotin, and a probiotic. I swallow everything except the multi now. Protein powder is all over the board. I really preferred the water mix varieties after surgery, (less thick\rich), and do a lot of Nectar Iced Tea. For chocolate and vanilla, Unjury tasted the best to me early on, but I've recently found my local Hyvee has a decent whey. Most of the time now I'm creating my own flavors and it works fine for that. Chocolate makes a great mocha mixed with instant coffee, hot or cold. Vanilla makes a great chai mixed with instant tea, a splash of milk, ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Hot or cold. Chai is my new fav.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to explore protein powder in prep for them being my *favorite* food post-surgery for a while. My wife had some Biggest loser vanilla and raspberry that I stole and they were decent.

I bought Bodytech pro 24g Rich Chocolate whey and Vanilla Casein to see if I can taste any difference. They both taste pretty good, although it is true that I have to blend the casein to make it at all smooth.

At the exercise/dietitian class last week, they told us that there is a bariatric vitamin company having a demo day in a couple of weeks with plenty of free samples. I will make sure to hit that!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When I have shakes I have either Premier Protein chocolate shakes, or Sanford Profile, which is made by the health system where I had my surgery. The Sanford Profile is in powder form and I use the strawberry shortcake flavor and make it in my magic bullet with light original soy milk, Fage Greek yogurt, ice cubes, and a few frozen blueberries.

I also use Syntrax Nectar protein drinks. I've tried a few and some are terrible, but I like the Fuzzy Nave the most. The Chocolate Truffle, and Vanilla Bean Torte are good, too.

Vitamins - I take a few things. I take the Women's Multi Gummy made by Vitafusion, Kirkland Signature Vitamin D + Calcium, and Calcium Citrate chewables in Cherry Tart. I also do an iron pill that I get from Costco.

I get my vitamins from either Amazon or from Costco, depending on the vitamin. I found that they were the best price. Even that store brands. You will pay more up front in some cases, but the unit cost is cheaper.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    After discovering Premier Protein shakes, I will NEVER go back to Bariatric Advantage shakes. Those things are gross.
  • katematt313
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback. This really helps :)
  • tabatham1982
    tabatham1982 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I recently found About Time protein shakes and they are really good! No chalky after taste and the come in a variety of flavors! They are also made with stevia, under 1g of carbohydrates, 0 fat, and only 100 calories!

www.tryabouttime.com
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I prefer Syntrax Nectar Protein Shake mix. I have MuscleTech as well but it's gritty tasting and higher in calories for the same amount of protein as the Syntrax. Also the flavors of the Syntrax Nectar are really good and can be mixed with milk or water.
  • garber6th
    Options
    I recently found About Time protein shakes and they are really good! No chalky after taste and the come in a variety of flavors! They are also made with stevia, under 1g of carbohydrates, 0 fat, and only 100 calories!

www.tryabouttime.com

Just ordered some of the trial size, shipping is free and if you use promo code NATURAL you can get 20% off.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I just placed an order for their trial pack as well! Thanks for the coupon code.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Vitamins: Celebrate Vitamins are great! Their multi chewables are very good. I really like the berry. But even better their berry calcium chews taste like starbursts. I have two of them as my afternoon treat!

However, I they are expensive. I still take the calcium chews, but now I use Solar-Ray Iron-Free Spectro. These are larger capsules and can only be taken by someone well post op. I do take extra B complex and D, but those I just get from the grocery store.

Protein - Now this one, I think I've tried just about every single powder made by mankind. The only one that I've truly liked, is Max Protein by SEI Pharmaceuticals. It can be found online only, and only in Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry. I've only every had the chocolate and vanilla. However, I have used it just about everything. Shakes, homemade bars, oatmeal, cookies, bread. The stuff is fantastic. For other flavors that are off the wall, try Nectar. They make stuff like fruit punch and lemonade among others.
  • katematt313
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I also ordered the samples of regular and vegan protein shakes from About Time, in chocolate and strawberry.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I prefer Syntrax Nectar Protein Shake mix. I have MuscleTech as well but it's gritty tasting and higher in calories for the same amount of protein as the Syntrax. Also the flavors of the Syntrax Nectar are really good and can be mixed with milk or water.

YES to the Syntrax, especially the Nectars since you can mix them with water and/or crystal light rather then the cremier/ milky flavors. I lived off the orange-peach and strawberry-kiwi for MONTHS.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Premeire Protein is good for a quick premade shake. You can get those at Costco, or at Mariano's here in Chicago if you are not near a Costco (and you happen to be in Chicago.. LOL) I use Body Fortress when I am at home and have access to a blender. It's cheap and you can get two jugs from amazon for around $30. My hospital didn't have any they officially recommended or sold, but they definitely have brands they advise against for having too much sugar/carbs/fat or not having enough protein.

For vitamins, I just take a Centrum complete chewable. My hospital just prefers that we take a chewable, especially right after surgery (Which is key for me since I just had my sleeve on May 5th!)
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to explore protein powder in prep for them being my *favorite* food post-surgery for a while. My wife had some Biggest loser vanilla and raspberry that I stole and they were decent.

I bought Bodytech pro 24g Rich Chocolate whey and Vanilla Casein to see if I can taste any difference. They both taste pretty good, although it is true that I have to blend the casein to make it at all smooth.

At the exercise/dietitian class last week, they told us that there is a bariatric vitamin company having a demo day in a couple of weeks with plenty of free samples. I will make sure to hit that!

Be careful doing this. You'll find that post-surgery your tastes have changed. What tastes good pre-surgery may be intolerable after the fact. I'd suggest saving your money and wait until after your surgery to start stocking up on the stuff. By all means, order some sample packs and have them ready to go for when you get home from surgery, but don't waste tons of money buying large tubs of the stuff yet.
  • garber6th
    Options

Be careful doing this. You'll find that post-surgery your tastes have changed. What tastes good pre-surgery may be intolerable after the fact. I'd suggest saving your money and wait until after your surgery to start stocking up on the stuff. By all means, order some sample packs and have them ready to go for when you get home from surgery, but don't waste tons of money buying large tubs of the stuff yet.

Yep. I even stopped liking things I tried after surgery that I liked at first, and now I am stuck with a couple of big tubs of protein I will never use.
  • mpweathe
    mpweathe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really like Celebrate Multi-vitamins in Orange. I had real issues with the artificial sweet taste of most of the protein shakes so I settled on the Syntrax Nectar unflavored protein powder. It is not truly unflavored but the taste is not bad and I can add it to just about anything. I have ordered the sample packs of About Time Protein powder with Stevia and I'm looking forward to giving them a try.