Newbie question

Options
Tanya949
Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
I'm just wondering if anyone is going a little longer on the last run interval on day 3? I'm going to do W1D3 on Monday and try on the 8th interval to run as long as I can... maybe a little psyching myself up for the increase for W2. I'm finding this first week pretty easy and feel I could run a bit longer.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Weeks 1-3 are meant to be pretty easy. It is to allow your legs time to adapt and to kind of bring you mentally into the game and break the "I hate to run" cycle. There is nothing wrong with going a bit longer on the last run of the week. But I would not go any more than what the longest run of the following week is. There is a lot going on in your body when you start running so you really need to allow your body time to adapt.
  • Tanya949
    Options
    Thanks for the input, and yes, I would only run as long as the interval in the following week. Maybe just to get the fear out of my head.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you'd finish each run feeling like you could run the same distance again. That's the definition of an "easy run" after you graduate the program. The reality is that you'll probably have challenging days/weeks, so enjoy these first weeks.
  • Tanya949
    Options
    Ideally, you'd finish each run feeling like you could run the same distance again. That's the definition of an "easy run" after you graduate the program. The reality is that you'll probably have challenging days/weeks, so enjoy these first weeks.

So I would be naive to think that because it seems easy now that I will find the rest of the program easy? I only added 30 seconds to my last interval today. I was running on an uphill slant on the way back. Still felt good, I could have continued. I guess I will see how far my current cardio endurance extends. :tongue:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You'll find the whole thing easier if you let it be easy and don't push ahead. :wink:
  • Tanya949
    Options
    You'll find the whole thing easier if you let it be easy and don't push ahead. :wink:

You are exactly right. I'm going to take my time and enjoy the weeks :happy: