Bow flex or homemade power rack with bar and bench?

Options
gracielynn1011
gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
Due to a deal with my husband, I am getting some new equipment.

I had showed him the plans and specs for the power rack and mentioned getting a bar and a sturdier bench. And he was fine with that. But, he found a bwflex revolution, used, for $1000 and asked if I wanted that.

I am leaning towards the rack, but which would you choose and why? Just for me to review and see pros and cons to each.

Replies

• Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    We tried a couple of different home gyms, and found quality to be lacking. They also lacked flexibility for exercises, and I found myself wanting to use freeweights more and more. So we ditched the home gyms and bought a freemotion squat rack on sale along with Olympic bars, weight plate and a set of dumbbells. And a good adjustable bench.

Now we can get a great workout at home if we can't make it to the gym!!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    No question, power rack and oly bar. I have a very nice multi-station machine and a power rack. Never use the machine.

To be fair, I did use the machine for over a year and it seemed to be just what I needed at the time. I wasn't mentally ready for barbell work and this got me to at least move weight around. I have had the power rack for a year and use it for everything. While barbell work is more technical, it is so much more efficient than the machine. A day of 5x5 of squat, bench, deadlift and pull-ups/chin-ups will do more than any amount of variety you could do on my machine. And it's a nice machine. I have used the BowFlex and it drives me nuts. If the two choices are BowFlex and power rack, then PowerRack all day and twice on Sunday.

So, get on craigslist and find a nice power rack, barbell and weights for $350 and enjoy. Get a copy of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength so you don't hurt yourself.

Tom
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! The only experience I have with machines is the circuit type machines at a gym, and they seemed limiting as to what can be accomplished.

He doesn't really understand the difference in the two, and I know he only mentioned it trying to be helpful. I will keep looking till I find what I need.
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The bow flex revolution is an amazing machine. My buddy has it. He originally got it for rehabilitation and bow flex had certified PT's they contracted that can help with PT. Anywho, the machine is great and can work all your muscle groups. Upper body weight is limited to 300lbs and lower body to 600lbs. It is truly a complete system. I do intend to get one.

However, I will always need my free weights. Nothing can beat clean and jerk/snatch/power cleans and squats for developing power with the body. They force your body to work as a cohesive unit.

I say go for both...:-)
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    power rack and oly set hands down. not even a decision worth considering.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to learn how to squat, deadlift, and press properly -- meaning you will take the necessary steps and time involved to learn proper technique, I would absolutely recommend the rack/bar/bench over any machine based setup.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    All I ask is a power rack, a sturdy bench, barbell, and enough plates to bury me. A bowflex is pretty much an expensive laundry rack.
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    Definitely going to learn the proper techniques for the lifts. I am looking into Starting Strength. The book store in town didn't have it, but they are supposed to be ordering it for me. It should be in this week.

I am pretty happy about it. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but had to wait until the money was right to invest.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    That's great. I have found some very good form videos on Youtube. These do not replace Rippetoe's Starting Strength, but it can be a great help to see the exercises performed with good form.
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    I hate to keep bugging you all, but I have a question about the type of bench I should get. I am seeing some with racks for bench press and some without. Obviously, the ones without are cheaper. Which one should I get? Since I am getting a rack, can I get an FID bench to use with it? Or would I need the one with the attached racks, just to make it easier?

Right now I am using the wooden bench that came with my dining table. But since my new equipment will be going in our building, I can't take it out there to use.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    If you are getting a squat/power rack, just get a bench w/out a rack unless you have a ton of room, then a bench with a rack would be somewhat "easier".
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    Thanks. That is kind if what I was thinking. I will have a 10x12 spaCE, so that's kind of an issue.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I really like Rogue's flat utility bench. I see no use for a bench with supports if you're getting a power rack; neither gym that I regularly train at has benches with attached supports and we all bench from a power rack/Rogue squat stand. Which rack are you getting?

An adjustable bench would be nice instead of a flat bench depending on what exercises you want to do, but the are a lot more expensive than flat benches.

ETA: this is the rack I do most of my squats and bench presses from and if I was building a garage gym is probably the one I'd get. http://www.roguefitness.com/sml-2-rogue-90-monster-lite-squat-stand.php
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    http://www.adamantbarbell.com/Power-Cages-Squat-Racks/Best-Fitness-Power-Rack

I found this today. It is in my price range.

http://m.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23773346

This is the one I was looking at over the weekend. My husband was originally going to build me one, using online specs, but thought that after buying the materials and the time to build, it was easier to buy one.

I am leaning towards the first one. But the second actually has a higher weight limit. But is it likely that I will be using 500-600lbs. I doubt it, so it really shouldn't matter.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    Here's a "PowerRack Wiki":
    http://bodybuilding.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Power_Racks

I would think long and hard about what you want before buying what you think you need. Better to save and buy something that suits you than save a buck now and wish you had something else.

Things I would consider if I were you (just guessing):
    Height: Any limitations, do you want to be able to do pull ups?
    Weight Rack: Do you need the rack to hold/store plates also?
    Band Holes: Not just for banded squats or presses. Great for Glute work/hip thrusts.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I'd look at Craigslist for an used one.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    And Yes, I think the first one would be great!
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've been to a variety of gyms around the country and tried many different types of racks. I personally think the hole spacing and generally solid construction of the Rogue racks are worth paying a little bit more than the two you posted. I have zero affiliation with Rogue but after getting used to Westside style spacing I really hate 3 inch hole spacing. Have you thought about visiting gyms in the area and checking out their equipment and trying it out so you have a better idea of what you really like and need before laying down a bunch of cash?
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    Just wanted to do a quick update. I did get a rack, bench, and bar with 100 lb of weights. I already had 80lb of plates here at home.

I didn't get the starting strength book, but I was given a copy of the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I started it today, I'll give it a shot and see how I like it. If I don't like the program, I'll switch to starting strength or strong lifts later on. I did notice that nrol4w is really geared toward beginners. It mentions starting out at 10 lbs on some exercises. So that should help me adjust from dumb bells to the bar.

Also, that husband of mine who said he would probably never use it, has used it 3 times this week so far. Lol
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep us updated.