Adding HIIT

Options
marieann82
marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
Those of you who do HIIT with your workouts--do you use the workouts in the book? Or something else? Do you do the HIIT after your lifting workout is done or do you HIIT on the following day?

Can you give an example of what your current HIIT is and where you are in NROL4W?

Replies

• sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I had to return my copy of the book to the library and now I can't even remember where HIIT was in there. Is this in stage 2? I was reading about HIIT on girlsgonestrong.org the other day so you've piqued my interest.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Stage 2 gives a good idea where to start and how to progress. I did mine after but found the first one super difficult and te third impossible (body just said no). Started with a rest at 3.5 in treadmill and worked up from 6-7.5 throughout te workouts. For someone short and hating running, it had me running, not jogging. I also do a high incline to help with impact.

In stage 3, I have done the bike as a warmup with te HIIT. I kept above 60 rpm and did "hills" to increase the intensity.

I know a few ladies do them on separate days but I don't have time as is to add extra days.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I finished NROL4W and am doing Supercharged.
    To do true HIIT: do an activity at max effort (meaning you cannot possibly go any faster/harder) for 30 secs to 1 min. Then you recover for 1-2 mins. Lou recommends 5-12 mins after each lifting session in Supercharged. If you do it on your non-lifting days, you can probably do more. However, the effects of HIIT on muscles are similar to lifting, so some say you can hinder your recovery if you do it on alternate days. Really depends on you and your schedule.
    I personally like burpees and battle ropes for HIIT.
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Battle ropes! Sounds either threatening or like something that would have been on Double Dare.

I used to run intervals which was great for this stuff, but was tough on my knees. I'm starting 2 again late this week so perhaps I'll give it a whirl on the elliptical or something equally gentle.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    To do true HIIT: do an activity at max effort (meaning you cannot possibly go any faster/harder) for 30 secs to 1 min. Then you recover for 1-2 mins. Lou recommends 5-12 mins after each lifting session in Supercharged. If you do it on your non-lifting days, you can probably do more. However, the effects of HIIT on muscles are similar to lifting, so some say you can hinder your recovery if you do it on alternate days. Really depends on you and your schedule.

I am also doing Supercharged and I'm having a bit of trouble with the intervals at the end of the workouts. The main problem is I'm exhausted! I swear he forgets he just had me spend an hour lifting. So, I do them, but I'm not sure my intensity is as much as is intended. I'm finishing up BT III and I do my 4-6 sets of running at 7 mph for 30 seconds followed by walking at 3.5 for the next 30, repeat. 7 mph is not max effort for me on any other day, but after lifting I can barely do that. Am I doing it correctly?

(Sorry if I just hijacked :flowerforyou: )
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Mouse, I think he talks about it in the book, but I consider the HIIT after lifting just an extra push to get me completely fatigued. If you're going as hard as you can at that moment I think you're fine:)
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

So it doesn't matter which activity? Can I do 30-1 minute burpees and then 1-2 mins of walking or squats?
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would say it shouldn't matter. The point is to get your heart rate up quick, then down, then back up.. Cardio is cardio. Just make sure it is hard enough to get your heart rate up.
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've seen advice to do HIIT between weight training sets before - can't imagine that with NROL4W. Had a hard time doing any cardio after weight training toward the end of stage 1, too exhausted. Am raps was like a breath of fresh air (for the first one anyway). Agree with barbell cowgirl, alternate days gets to be hard too, almost like another weight training workout. Figure I'm going to try the HIIT right after weight training and then maybe do 2 days of a long walk. You get a decent fat burn from walking as long as you go for long enough. From what I hear of stage 2 and beyond, it gets to kickin your *kitten*!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Mouse, I think he talks about it in the book, but I consider the HIIT after lifting just an extra push to get me completely fatigued. If you're going as hard as you can at that moment I think you're fine:)

I am glad to hear that because I have literally been on the treadmill thinking "now, if your legs give out, cover your face with your arms. The rest of your body can take the impact, but not your nose." :laugh:
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options

So it doesn't matter which activity? Can I do 30-1 minute burpees and then 1-2 mins of walking or squats?

Right. But you don't want to use your "recovery" time doing something that is going to keep your heart racing. It should give your heart a minute to slow down before you spike it to maximum level again. There's a difference between HIIT and High Intensity Steady State. You want to be able to push yourself HARD during the work periods.

Mouse, I LOL'd - the same thought has crossed my mind! :laugh: