I did it!

Options
CherylP67
CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
I ran my first half marathon yesterday in Indianapolis. My time was 2:43, and I'm proud of it. I ran the entire thing. I did stop to take pics for people, I kissed the bricks of the speedway, and just enjoyed myself in general.

Until, mile 10... My back started hurting, my toes started hurting. I walked through a water station and the back of my left leg was so tight. I kept on running until mile 11, when I started thinking about walking. My only goals were to run the whole thing and to kiss the bricks. Someone ran by and the back of their shirt said "pain is temporary, pride lasts forever." It got me thinking that I would hurt if I ran or walked and to keep running would get me to the finish line quicker and it would be over and I would be able to meet my goal of running the entire 13.1. I had this internal struggle until mile 12. I saw the mile 12 sign as the course turned and I could see downtown Indy. I knew I could do it then, I was my number 1 cheerleader that last 1.1 mile. I even found some energy hiding down deep, because I sprinted to the finish line.

Running a long distance like this is so mental. I reached deep inside myself and used more determination and mental toughness than I knew I had. It was a total growing experience. I'm 46 years old and started running on August 25, 2013. A year ago I wouldn't believe you if you told me I'd complete a half marathon in 2014.

I love the half marathon distance, I can't wait to run another.

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Massive kudos and congrats!!!! First half Mary's are so special!!!!!

I agree with so many parts of your post!! They're definitely addictive also. Happy race scheduling lol.
  • Shane37301
    Shane37301 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!! Congratulations on going the distance... both physically & mentally!! :drinker:
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    BRAVO TO YOU!!! You beat the voices in your head and ran with your heart...you're a winner!!