Newbie C25K Questions

Options
ErinMcMom
ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
Some background... I have been doing a 1k run followed by very very brisk walking every night for about a month (approx 3-5k total per evening). So I think I'm approaching this program with a good "walking base".

I started C25K on Friday. I did W1, D1 but found it too easy. On Saturday I did W2, D1 and then W1, D2 back-to-back. Today I did W2, D2 and W1, D3 back-to-back. I'm a completist and just couldn't stand not having checkmarks in the W1 boxes, otherwise I would have done W2 D2 and D3 back-to-back.

Am I messing with the program by doing this (like are back-to-back sessions harmful/beneficial)?
Should I skip weeks if I find them too easy?
I walk/run 7 days per week. If I do day 1, 2, and 3 (for example on mon, tues, and wed) should I jump to the next week, (essentially completing 2 weeks in 1 week's time) or should I do keep doing that week's program for the rest of the week?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So if I were to paraphrase the question, it would be is it OK to finish a nine week programme in fourteen days. I'd make a few observations.

Its a progressive plan intended to reach a 30minute continuous run by the end, without injury. It assumes starting from a position of being able to walk without issue for 40 minutes or so. You're well placed to start up by the sound of things.

What frequently leads to injury is doing too much, too soon. That was certainly my issue in the past until about a year ago. While the first couple of weeks feel easy its unlikely that'll continue for you.

Running action is quite different to walking. The feet are off the ground for a greater proportion of time, but equally the landing is heavier. That creates stresses on the system that need to be recovered from. Rest days are important to allow recovery and consolidation.

Rest days need not be exercise free, I row, cycle or resistance train on non running days. All three of those help avoid running injury. When I did C25K I ran at most four days per week. Now that I run generally 10K per session I run four to five times per week. The last thing I want is to be laid up with an overuse injury.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the advice by MeanderingMam. Trust the program and follow it. It's designed to get you running 30 minutes at a stretch in a healthy, non-injurious way. The first few weeks can seem easy but your body is adjusting and repairing in between.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Just to add - remember that performance isn't built during the workout but during the recovery. Allowing your bones and muscles the time to adapt during the rest days is critical to becoming a runner.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers! :)
    I'm fully aware that this program is going to get much harder and won't continue to be easy for me, I just thought that maybe I should have started the program from week 3 or 4 based on my fitness level leading up to the program. I know I'm not going to be completing this 9 week program in 14 days.

Last night I completed Week 2, Day 3 and followed it with 1.8k of brisk walking and a 1k run. I was just getting into the groove by the end of my c25k program and I wasn't ready to be done yet.

I really enjoy walking (I'm learning to enjoy running too) and I still walk on my "days off" because it's my way of decompressing after a stressful day. I'm really looking forward to the day that I can leave my house and just run, the idea of it is so freeing!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I think you might have been able to start later in the programme than someone who doesn't run at all.
    Try jumping ahead a few weeks and see if that presents a challenge. If you're already running 1K I do think you need to move to a higher level.
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I originally started C25K almost 2 months ago. I was all gung ho and anxious to become a runner. I did Wk 1 Days 1,2 & 3 back-to-back-to-back. Weather was fantastic those few days and I couldn't imagine not being outside taking advantage of it. Well, too much, too soon definitely fit my situation. I effed up my knees, to the point it hurt to do my daily walking with my friend. Lesson learned... I took a few weeks to recover, started taking glucosamine and kept walking and strength training. I was determined not to give up on running but I was sooo nervous about getting injured again.

I started up again 3 weeks ago and had patience and trusted the program. I just finished Wk 3 Day 3 and it felt GREAT! My stamina is already improving. Granted I was never a runner or athletic at all growing up but taking my time on this program was the best thing for me :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I effed up my knees, to the point it hurt to do my daily walking with my friend. Lesson learned... I took a few weeks to recover,

I've had similar issues in the past, largely when I was trying to do my own thing. Worst was when I ended up having to use sticks to walk.

When I was doing C25K last year I had a couple of threatening twinges, but I added an extra rest day, and reduced my pace a bit and it passed. Not an approach I'd recommend for most people though, I was very aware of exactly where on my leg I was having pain and what I'd do if it moved.
    I started up again 3 weeks ago and had patience and trusted the program. I just finished Wk 3 Day 3 and it felt GREAT! My stamina is already improving. Granted I was never a runner or athletic at all growing up but taking my time on this program was the best thing for me :)

Taking time with running is always a good approach, the other thing to do is some resistance training to help balance out the effects of the running. For most runners bodyweight work is as much as is needed. Personally I use the You Are Your Own Gym programme, with a similar plan for women being Body By You. I think Varda has used that in the past, from a previous discussion, so may want to comment.

That helps to stabilise the knee, ankle and hips, core work also helps to reduce fatigue and align your running motion. Less relevant at the 5K distance but as you start increasing distance later it becomes crucial.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I am also finding the early weeks very easy. Ive worked on my cardio endurance the past few month/s and have always been a hiker, so I think that made my transition to running easier. Other than sore hips the first 2 days I've been fine, and I've found an easy breathing pattern. I accidentally did W4D1 instead of W3D2, but finished that easily too, so will continue from there. I felt I could keep going after the 5 min. I do not plan on skipping any days from here on out, though. I've done one run back to back, but like my rest days in between, though I will do a run the same day after a session of heavy cardio, only because it may fit my schedule better.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I did YAYOG on the days when I couldn't make it to the gym for New Rules of Lifting. Since then I've switched to a progressive body weight resistance program called Convict Conditioning, which rocks.

I agree that most new runners are well served by a resistance program for all the reasons mentioned.

Also to add, when I did the program I frequently did two days back to back due to scheduling. Only once three. I could feel the difference in the running on tired legs.