Women at work won't stop saying how HORRIBLE running is...

mom2tripsn2
mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
I'm trying to fight it but it's really briniging me down...every day at work I have been going walking/jogging at lunch and I have been so excited and talking about my upcoming 5K and everyone at work just keeps telling me how bad running is for my knees, and it's not a full body exercise, I'm going to end up with chicken legs and a big upper body....etc, etc, etc...how do you deal with people who seem to make it a point to kill your momentum??

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    I don't tell anyone. I'm running for me and that's good enough for now.

That doesn't mean that I avoid the topic. It's come up at work and I've added to the conversation by talking about my running experiences and the conversations have been good & positive and, slowly, there's now a group of people who I talk to about mine and their experiences with the sport of our choices. Everyone is supportive and interested. I suppose it's because the people who bring up the topic are interested in the subject.

Sometimes, when people are that negative about something they themselves have not tried, they actually admire you in the background for doing something they themselves aren't able to find the determination to conquer. But they won't admit that out loud.

Don't listen to them. Come here and talk about your runs. I've been running for over a year now and do not have chicken legs or a big upper body and my knees are just fine (make sure you have good shoes to cushion your knees a bit). Keep running and in a year you'll be proof that these things don't happen. See what your co-workers say then.

Keep that momentum alive. You're lucky to be able to work out at lunch. I'd love to do that.

Don't give up. You're doing great.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    The only way not to let it get to you is to let the crap flow out from the other ear. Crap in, crap out. I can't imagine they keep going forever, if they don't get a response from you; a blank stare and walking away should do the trick. In the meantime, come join us knee breakers in the Daily Check-In thread and I promise you will be surrounded by runner love! We get what you're raving about, promise!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    As a runner, you will always hear this. I get it at my work all the time. "Did you hear about that guy who died running a marathon?" or "Did you know running tears your tendons?" Etc... The list will go on and on.

The best thing to do is arm yourself with facts to fire back at them. Once you do that, they will start shutting up.

For the "full body" comments, say "You are right, it isn't a full body workout. That is why I cross train with strength to make sure my body is strong for my runs."

For the "bad knees" bit, say "90% of people who have knee issues due to running is because either A) they don't have the proper shoes or B) they don't stretch."

For the chicken legs thing...well, being a runner that kind of comes with the stereotype. I get it from time to time but I love how my legs look.

And for the "thin legs/larger torso" bit, say "No one can control where the fat comes off your body. If it comes off my body from my legs first then whatever, my torso will catch up. The same goes for weight lifters, or spinners, or people who like to do Zumba."

Just educate yourself on the basic knowledge of running and you can shut those people up pretty easily.
  • sattwellrn
    sattwellrn Posts: 12 Member
    I am very proud of my achievements as a heavy runner. I also get great joy in surrounding myself with the positive supportive nature of the running community. My family along with some co-workers have made a few remarks that stick with me, such as "you don't have a runners body" and because you are heavy it is bad for your knees. So, I stopped running for a while and then got depressed and really heavy. I am getting back to it and remembering the fun I had with my first marathon and my "running friends."
    So, I decided that I would keep my secret to myself.
  • alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    and what perfect workout plan are THEY on?

you do what works for you!
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    I will reply with one of my favorite quotes:

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”

― Mark Twain