Reversing Diabetes World Summit 2014

GrokRockStar
GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
Just thought that I'd share a really cool 12-day summit that's happening right now (online podcasts). It consists of Doctors, scholars, fitness experts, and real people speaking on various topics that pertain to people like us. It's all about the science. They even throw in an e-book titled Core Nutrition to Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes that I was able to download and print.

If anyone is interested, here is the link: http://thediabetessummit.com/

You will need to register with your first name and email address only.

Replies

• Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Oh my gosh!!! I just signed up!!! So amazing!!!
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    http://www.sweetlifecenters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Bonus-eBook.pdf

The ebook for those not wanting spam^^^^

I haven't read it, except for the dietary part. Bit of a concern to see ORGANIC eggs, GRASS-FED beef, and FREE-RANGE poultry in the list. I'd be cautious about being sold something or preached to about something political.
  • GrokRockStar

I haven't read it, except for the dietary part. Bit of a concern to see ORGANIC eggs, GRASS-FED beef, and FREE-RANGE poultry in the list. I'd be cautious about being sold something or preached to about something political.

The reason for the organic/grass fed mention is because the summit is being hosted by a Paleo group (I believe), which promotes obtaining food from your local farmers, and butchers, not big government such as monsanto, and GMO peddlers. If anything it helps the "little guy." I prefer that my beef come from a cow that's been eating grass in an open field as nature intended, versus questionable slaughter houses where the animals consume manufactured feed. The book contains information that most low carbers already know, so no revalations or anything.
  • Lesa1129
    Lesa1129 Posts: 66 Member
    I don't like to eat things that has stuff in it that we don't know about. I'm not sure how that is political or what not. GMO's scare the heck out of me personally. Thanks for the info, I'm always looking for new ideas and products.
  • GrokRockStar
    Lesa, glad that I can pass along the info. After all, we're all in this together!
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member

The reason for the organic/grass fed mention is because the summit is being hosted by a Paleo group (I believe), which promotes obtaining food from your local farmers, and butchers, not big government such as monsanto, and GMO peddlers. If anything it helps the "little guy." I prefer that my beef come from a cow that's been eating grass in an open field as nature intended, versus questionable slaughter houses where the animals consume manufactured feed. The book contains information that most low carbers already know, so no revalations or anything.

Anti-GMO is political. Diabetes control has nothing to do with whether or not cows are fed grass or if chicken roam free.
  • GrokRockStar
    The summit does not speak on GMO, nor does Paleo, but I do and don't consider myself political. Regardless, the summit provides useful information and if you're not interested, move on. I prefer to reap the benefits of it and what I may not agree with, I'll leave that behind!
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    I question any organization that publishes a document that claims Diabetes can be reversed. Pure poppycock. They are using a dramatic headline to draw you in; which is bad form.

Diabetes can not be reversed. There are No legitimate studies that say this. In fact all legitimate research shows that Diabetes can not be reversed (as of today's medical science)

Symptoms and complications can be reduced or eliminated with diet; but we have known this since the 1950s. This is not reversing the disease, it is controlling the symptoms. Anyone in their study who eats a big piece of chocolate cake will have their BG go through the roof. This is not reversal.

New information about diet (like Paleo, lchf and even raw foods) that can control symptoms and complications is Good News! But when they publish false dramatic headlines that Diabetes can be reversed; I would stay away. Good News does not have to be exaggerated. This organization has tainted their own reputation by doing so. What else are they lying about or exaggerating for attention (or your email address)?
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    A lot of the speakers already have my email, so nothing new for them, such as Mark and his daily apple.

Many of the speakers are well known in their fields- nutrition, cardiology and diabetes. A couple from the 'fringe' so to say, but still worth a look at, or listen to.

You can pick which of the speakers you want to listen to. I listened to one from the first day,by 'America's Pharmacist' and going to try somemore today
    In this journey I think we all need to be a little open minded. Things/ideas seem to be on the move in the diabetes arena, much of which has been pushed forward by the community itself, against even the medical establishment. As it is said quite often here, diabetes is a very much a case of n=1, what works for one may not work for another.
    Good luck to everyone one this journey, no matter which road they may take, the goal is the same for all, isn't it?

We must all support each other on the way.
  • GrokRockStar
    Part of this journey for me is evolution and thinking outside the box. I don't mind opinions, i welcome them, so thanks for all of the feedback! I will continue to share any information that I come accross that I may find useful for some, maybe not all.
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Just listened to Jenny Ruhl of Bloodsugar101.com. :smile: :drinker:

Really worth listening to.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    In this journey I think we all need to be a little open minded. Things/ideas seem to be on the move in the diabetes arena, much of which has been pushed forward by the community itself, against even the medical establishment. As it is said quite often here, diabetes is a very much a case of n=1, what works for one may not work for another.
    Good luck to everyone one this journey, no matter which road they may take, the goal is the same for all, isn't it?

We must all support each other on the way.

Thanks for this. I agree in many ways. I might not agree with the speakers of the Summit, but they might have just the tidbit I need to make my road a little better.

I have been concerned with anyone who supports the diabetes can be reversed, but that is mainly because of my life experience. I have done so many things to control my diabetes - lost a lot of weight, totally changed my diet, taken the meds - and I am mostly in control. But even with these changes, if I eat a handful of jelly beans, I'm STILL going to have a huge BG spike (ooops, I did that yesterday). So at this point I will continue to control, and eat a way I can live with.

Also, medical community has given mixed messages about cholesterol and statins. I'm following the new thought and hoping they are right because I have had problems with the statins. That's also of concern to diabetics
  • GrokRockStar
    I wouldn't let the title of the summit stop me from gaining more insight. I just wish that my family members benefited from some form of diabetes education, anything. My father lost his sight and died at the ripe old age of 56 because of diabetes and heart disease. My mother, although at a healthy weight has to take insulin injections twice a day. My maternal grandfather is a double amputee, my paternal grandmother died from it at 62. Two of my aunts and three of my uncles from both sides of the family were amputees, and all dead now. I watched the people that I love die from this. It was due to poor education in the south. Because of my neglect have permanent vision damage, borderline glaucoma, and know if I don’t address it that it will kill me!
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    They do explain that by saying "Reversing Diabetes" they do not mean to say "Curing Diabetes". They say that as of yet there is no known cure and no one they have ever heard of who has been "Cured".

Many of the speakers are very interesting so far. But, like someone said, you get all the information you can and throw out what you don't agree with.

As for -to organic or to not organic',... There are some things I prefer with Organic or Grassfed, but let's be real, those things are expensive! But, at least to me, grass fed butter and free range eggs certainly taste better. I wish I could get whole heavy whipping cream from a farm... *drools... :)