Is HIIT necessary for keto?

MyiahRose
MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
I get different answers and im just confused. some people say don't do hiit, some people say do steady state cardio.
I run 3 times a week at 5.0 for 40 minutes and i strength train 3 days a week.
In order to burn more fat or get more weight loss results should i be doing HIIT?
I know its all about a calorie deficit but im still confused on the exercise part.

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    You see best results when you weight train with Keto. This is not a theory, its been observed by Dr's who prescribe ketogenic diets and in multiple studies. This has been my experience too. I do run when I am not weight training and usually one of my run is HIIT. You can incorporate a day or two of HIIT, but make sure you increase the carbs on those days. Remember once you hit Anaerobic Threshold, your body will switch to carbs. You don't need HIIT cardio on Keto diets to lose fat.
  • MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    You see best results when you weight train with Keto. This is not a theory, its been observed by Dr's who prescribe ketogenic diets and in multiple studies. This has been my experience too. I do run when I am not weight training and usually one of my run is HIIT. You can incorporate a day or two of HIIT, but make sure you increase the carbs on those days. Remember once you hit Anaerobic Threshold, your body will switch to carbs. You don't need HIIT cardio on Keto diets to lose fat.

Ok so its still ok with me to run 3 days a week for 30 minutes with no hiit? Im not really a fan of it anyway. Plus i weight train 3 days a week for 40-60 minutes. Is that enough?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Sure, do what you enjoy. Irrespective of the diet, people who do resistance training lose more fat and of course the one on low carb diet+ resistance training tend to lose more.
  • Shaselai
    Shaselai Posts: 151
    I am actually starting HIIT too after reading that it has greater after burn effect on fat, expecially after weight lifting because the glucose gets depleted during weight training so HIIT will burn a lot more fat.. I am still trying to build a routine to include HIIT but idealy it will be:
    M: weights -> HIIT elliptical ->zumba
    T: HIIT -> zumba
    W: zumba x2
    Th: weights -> HIIT Elliptical -> zumba
    F: HIIT-> zumba
    Sat: Combo of weights/cardio
    Sun: hiit-> zumba

The last time i did hiit on monday i was sweating like crazy after 10 mins or so but due to not having a heart sensor i couldnt tell exactly my range although i hit 170ish a few times on the hand sensors... I recently bought a heart sensor that integrates with my phone and gonna test it out!