Exercise ideas?

Options
Jenny_Rose77
Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
Hi everyone! So, as I slowly ease into the Paleo/Primal eating (about 3 months in now), I am noticing all sorts of wonderful changes. I have lost 15 pounds (eating the same amount of food I did on SAD), and I feel great. More energy. Better mood. It's wonderful.

I'm also approaching my goal weight (which was my pre-pregnancy weight, and a weight I was happy with for nearly 10 years/most of my adult life). As I get there, I feel like I could be in even better shape still. Really, I'd like to be more toned. And I can only imagine that comes through exercise.

Without writing a novella about it, I should say I have a ton of injuries from a previous life as a runner, and I have multiple herniated discs that I have had surgeries on. In short, while I am attracted to the idea of Crossfit because of the Paleo connection (and maybe making some IRL Paleo friends!), I am terrified of going to a Crossfit gym because I hear about so many injuries happening there. I am really worried I could seriously hurt myself.

So, I guess my questions for y'all are:

1) Anyone had a great experience going into Crossfit generally out of shape/injured?

OR

2) What alternatives to Crossfit are there for someone who is starting out out-of-shape/injured?

PS: My only forms of exercise currently are walking everywhere (I live in the city, so doing all my errands, plus walking my dog) and swimming laps about twice a week for twenty minutes each.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Personally with your situation with severe injuries etc, I think sticking with everyday activities makes sense. Walking, hiking, playing with kids, short sprints (IF tolerated), lift heavy things occasionally. Bodyweight exercises can be as easy or difficult as needed and I think the likelihood of injury is less than other strength routines as long as you work within your limits. There's nothing wrong with just walking but throw some strength building in with it. Even injuries will be better off when you are stronger, just don't go all crazy with trying to increase fitness over-night.

There's no such thing as "toned' lol. Muscular is awesome. I grew some great muscles over the winter with all my walking/running; too bad they can't be seen due to the fat and loose skin. LOL
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You could start with some simple strength moves and see how that goes. I have a lifting restriction of 40 lbs for the rest of my life, (pelvic floor issues, not back injuries) so I have stayed away from Crossfit as I'd quickly max out on the weights and feel I wouldn't benefit.

In addition to running, I do circuit training/boot camp type stuff. I've done Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and just ordered P90X3. Mark's Daily Apple has a free Primal workout book that might be a good start for you? If you can't find it, private message me and I could send you a pdf copy of it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was in a not-dissimilar situation as you -- I kind of liked the idea of CrossFit, but have a herniated disc and at the time had a compressed disc, and didn't really think the quick-and-heavy weight lifting style routine was a good idea. I've also got some pre-arthritic inflammation in the top of my hips. I wanted something more than "everyday activities," though (though I do agree that they're awesome; I'll take a day in the garden over a structured workout).

I ended finding my way to a Title Boxing Club location. The classes are higher intensity, but you can adjust as necessary. It's done wonders for me, since there's a blend of cardio/calisthenics and strength stuff, and it's all bodyweight (well, except for the boxing gloves), which helps with the back issues. As always, listen to your body and modify the exercise as needed, but I've found that I've gone from not being able to do full-plank stuff (because of my back), to being able to do it for at least a few seconds, because I've been able to strengthen the supporting muscles.

Something like that might be worth a try.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit and I am 80 pounds overweight. I also have a neck and shoulder issue from a car accident last summer. If you want to try Crossfit, I say go for it BUT, find a good box. Talk to the coaches, how long have been coaches? How will they modify for your injury? Watch a few classes, do the coaches pay attention to those who need it, correcting form and re-demostrating?

I started at a box under a groupon, liked the workout but never felt safe! Then I transferred to a box that had only been opened a year but the 2 owners had been coaching for 7 years (ironically they originally coached at the first box). They are fabulous! They will drop everything and help you learn.

BTW my neck and shoulder responded better to crossfit than medical intervention.