Doing my own C25K this time around.

Options
I just turned 49! I tried a running program with Fleet Feet Sports in 2012 but had to quit after getting an ankle stress fracture. Now, almost 2 years later I am trying to run again. This time on my own and in my own time at my own pace, so hopefully, no injuries this time around. I'm running on a dirt & gravel greenway so it's easier on my joints. I ran for 2 miles on the treadmill...usually run 5 walk 2 etc., etc. Once I ran straight for up to 13 minutes. I was running for 3 days a week. I'm now trying to transfer outside, as my treadmill belt bit the dust. I started running outside the week before last. I'm up to 2 miles 2 days a week...running about a 15-16 minute mile on average. I know this much, running outside is much much harder than running inside. My legs feel heavier and tire more easily and my calve muscles hurt more. My breathing isn't near as good either. Indoors I ran 13 minutes straight one time, but outside 3 minutes has been the max and I average 2 minutes running at a time. I currently run two, then walk three for 2-2 1/4 miles. Next week, I will probably start to slowly reduce my walking time by 30 seconds at a time. I sure hope it get's easier because right now, it's so hard.

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! From what I understand, transitioning from indoor to outdoor running can be a challenge but it sounds like you're motivated. Do you follow the couch-to-5K programme? How many days a week do you run? It is advisable for beginners not to run more than the three days per week as the C25K has been designed; the body needs time to grow stronger.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Transitioning from treadmill to outside is a lot easier if you've been running on an incline (about 1 to 2 pct).

When I did my version of C25K last winter, I started on the treadmill and didn't start running outside until early March. Mid March I ran my first 5K and late April I ran a 10K.

Now I do virtually all of my running outside (I find the treadmill unbearably boring now because you're just in one place). Have my sight set on a late July half marathon.

Best of luck to you Kimberly. A couple of years ago, I couldn't run 100 yards without being severely winded and wouldn't have thought I'd be running the distances I am now. All about making slow and steady progress.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a year and a half, so I've transitioned from running on both the TM and outdoors, to outdoors exclusively, to TM, to outdoors. My verdict: transitions are hard. It doesn't matter which way you go. Slowing down and breaking up the run are good ways to adapt to transitioning either way.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome, KimberlyAndre!
    You can do this. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

I agree with Varda. Transitions are hard. I first transitioned from TM to outdoors and was floored at the difference. Since then I've gone back to the TM when needed and found that hard. Now I realize that any transition will take a few days to get used to.
    However, don't let transitions slow you down. Keep running. Your body will adjust after a few days. Start slower than your usual until you're used to it and you'll be fine.

Keep us posted as to your progress and training.