bone density 1

Options
jmzz1
jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
Does anyone know how to increase the bone density?
I had been using treadmill for about an hour everyday for 1 year and now my knees are hurting a lot . My doctor advised me to increase my bone density through calcium tablet . I am a bit reluctant taking tablets so anybody knows how to increase it through diet and exercise?

Thanks for any help in advance

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You are already doing a great exercise - body weight impact.

You could do a couple more things, but the amount to do for it to have as positive an effect as the running would likely mean much less running. Which may be useful actually. Daily 1 hr?

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/ExerciseandBones.htm

Was this a sports Dr, because bone density and knees hurting - huh, there's a bunch more in the knees than just bone.
    Very strange comment unless there was more info like a bone density scan.

Also, how intense is your 1 hr daily running, HR level if known or pace done?

And since the body only gets repairs during the rest from exercise - where exactly is your rest for body to repair?

And if still in a diet - that repair process is actually impaired and slower than eating at maintenance.

Is the running daily to increase TDEE so you can eat more while keeping reasonable deficit?
    Or to create bigger reasonable deficit?
    or to create a bigger unreasonable deficit?

Is this you? Just want to confirm.
    http://skepchick.org/2014/02/the-female-athlete-triad-not-as-fun-as-it-sounds/
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights if you don't already. Not a "scientific" article, but this was on a quick search:

http://www.naturalnews.com/010528.html#
  • jmzz1
    Options
    You are already doing a great exercise - body weight impact.

You could do a couple more things, but the amount to do for it to have as positive an effect as the running would likely mean much less running. Which may be useful actually. Daily 1 hr?

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/ExerciseandBones.htm

Was this a sports Dr, because bone density and knees hurting - huh, there's a bunch more in the knees than just bone.
    Very strange comment unless there was more info like a bone density scan.

Also, how intense is your 1 hr daily running, HR level if known or pace done?

And since the body only gets repairs during the rest from exercise - where exactly is your rest for body to repair?

And if still in a diet - that repair process is actually impaired and slower than eating at maintenance.

Is the running daily to increase TDEE so you can eat more while keeping reasonable deficit?
    Or to create bigger reasonable deficit?
    or to create a bigger unreasonable deficit?

Is this you? Just want to confirm.
    http://skepchick.org/2014/02/the-female-athlete-triad-not-as-fun-as-it-sounds/

i dont have sports doctor in my area . i have been to an orthopedic doctor.

Initially 10-15 min is an hiit then its normal pace walking but continuously.

I used to do this everyday, but now i am unable to walk for proper 10 min also . Doc advised me to do less knee impact activity like swmming or rowing but i do not have one in my area. So I am confused as to which other low impact exercise can i concentrate on' ANY ADVICE PLEASE
    Guess I can relate with the article where I am undereating . so might increase my quantity as well
  • heybales
    Options

I used to do this everyday, but now i am unable to walk for proper 10 min also . Doc advised me to do less knee impact activity like swmming or rowing but i do not have one in my area. So I am confused as to which other low impact exercise can i concentrate on' ANY ADVICE PLEASE
    Guess I can relate with the article where I am undereating . so might increase my quantity as well

Lift weights. The section of bone surrounded by the muscle under tension gets the benefit.
    So whole body lifting to help all the bones.
    Though there is some side benefit not related to exactly those bones.
    But both articles referenced in these posts talks about the benefit.

Didn't realize you needed low impact.
    So 2 different things actually. Dr wants you to lay off impact exercise because of the knee, and you want to keep bone density.

I thought the Dr was relating bone density to the knee problem the way it was stated.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Low impact exercises -- stationary biking, elliptical,
  • jmzz1
    Options

Lift weights. The section of bone surrounded by the muscle under tension gets the benefit.
    So whole body lifting to help all the bones.
    Though there is some side benefit not related to exactly those bones.
    But both articles referenced in these posts talks about the benefit.

Didn't realize you needed low impact.
    So 2 different things actually. Dr wants you to lay off impact exercise because of the knee, and you want to keep bone density.

I thought the Dr was relating bone density to the knee problem the way it was stated.

The Dr asked me to do low impact exercise due to knee pain and he said that knee pain is caused due to over exercise on treadmill which in turn led to reduce bone density
  • heybales
    Options
    The Dr asked me to do low impact exercise due to knee pain and he said that knee pain is caused due to over exercise on treadmill which in turn led to reduce bone density

Please read those given links regarding bone density so you can go "huh?" to that last comment as I am.
    I still don't see how bone density would relate to knee pain, unless the ends of the bone are wearing off faster, but that would have to be one massive bone density problem.

The only way running on treadmill would lead to reduced bone density is if you have been badly undereating thinking a bigger deficit to potential maintenance is better for weight loss, and your bones among other systems are suffering for it.

Did you read the link about undereating?
  • jmzz1
    Options

Please read those given links regarding bone density so you can go "huh?" to that last comment as I am.
    I still don't see how bone density would relate to knee pain, unless the ends of the bone are wearing off faster, but that would have to be one massive bone density problem.

The only way running on treadmill would lead to reduced bone density is if you have been badly undereating thinking a bigger deficit to potential maintenance is better for weight loss, and your bones among other systems are suffering for it.

Did you read the link about undereating?
    yep I did and I think that is the problem where I can relate with. Eating at deficit.
    thanks for the link .
    Now since treadmill is ruled out of my exercise regime for some time, I guess the only option lefy is strength training
  • hbwright74
    hbwright74 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started strength training because of osteopenia and a strong family history of major osteoporosis in my family. Strength training does help slow bone loss at least, and build bone density at best. Limited cardio and defecit to also help maintain muscle (and bone) while I'm losing fat. It's a slower process, but one that will get me there eventually, and I'll be healthier for the effort. I don't want to be a grandmother afraid of doing activities with my grandchildren, so I'm doing something about it now. Turns out I love strength training, so it's a win/win for me.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I never knew that overuse on the treadmill leads to reduced bone desity! I would have thought just the opposite since running on a treadmill (or walking) is an impact activity. I can see how the constant use of the knee (as in running or walking) might produce pain.
  • heybales
    Options
    I never knew that overuse on the treadmill leads to reduced bone desity! I would have thought just the opposite since running on a treadmill (or walking) is an impact activity. I can see how the constant use of the knee (as in running or walking) might produce pain.

By itself it doesn't.

When not eating enough for all that running it does.