No carb cravings - am I doing it wrong?

Options
BarbieAS
BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
I've gone low carb several times before in some fashion - South Beach, just a general attempt at keto, whatnot. I like it and I don't usually find it difficult EXCEPT that I love fruit too much to stay really low full time, so I try to schedule a few times per year to get myself solidly into ketosis when there's no good fruit in season, then try to stick under ~60-75 carbs after those 2-3 weeks by adding back basically only fruit and a little yogurt (though, inevitably, that does go off the rails at some point and I start over...but you get the picture).

Anyway, today is day 3 of my annual spring keto attempt. Days 1 and 2 I was at 32 net/37-40 total carbs - veggies, a serving or so of nuts, and then your various gram or two here and there in whatever else I'm eating (meat, cheese, a little sugar free jello). Every other time I've done this, I've been ready to stab someone in the face for a piece of toast by day 3 (which obviously goes away by the end of the week), but this time I'm not feeling that at all. I actually feel no different than I felt on Sunday before I started. I know I'm a little high on carbs to get me into ketosis, but for some reason I'm struggling with keeping the number down this time and I was hoping that somehow this was good enough. Do I need to try to force down the carbs even more? Or am I just getting lucky this time?

TL;DR - are carb cravings (or lack thereof) a good indicator of whether my body is working into ketosis during an "induction" phase? Is 32 net carbs too high for this to be worthwhile?

(For reference, I'm a 5'5" 33 year old woman with about 60lbs to lose to hit the top of a healthy weight range and a TDEE of about 2300, give or take a bit. My calorie goal is 1550.)

Replies

• Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Seems like a good 'problem' to have. If you're not craving carbs then you're doing something right. If the weights starts coming off then you've found your sweet spot carb wise. I wouldn't overthink it :smile:
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Lack of cravings or appetite means it's working.

I've been doing low carb for 2 weeks now and it has totally killed my appetite, as well as cravings for anything sweet. I eat about 20-30 net carbs a day. Mostly protein, fat, nuts, eggs, and a lot of salad. I have no urge to snack. I have also lost 4 lbs in those 2 weeks. So I must be in ketosis (haven't tested myself) and so far it is working...
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! :flowerforyou:

See, usually I DO get to that total lack of cravings stage, but it's only after a day or two of super hangry gimme a donut type stuff, which usually falls somewhere in day 2-4 for me. I'm now mostly through day 3 with nothing like that, so that was what was concerning me that I was wasting my time. And, I've definitely been HUNGRY, which is actually what's causing me to exceed my carb goal - the fact that there's only so much meat and cheese I can stomach in a day combined with still wanting to stay within my calorie goal has led me to reach for nuts and veggies when I'm feeling hungry more often than I typically would in an induction phase. (ETA: I've been hitting my other macros pretty well - 109/117 grams of fat and 101/107 grams of protein, and I didn't change my calorie goal - on which I'm usually pretty satisfied - just my macro ratios, so I don't think adjusting any of my goals would help with hunger.)

I think I'll stick it out for a few more days, try to keep working on the carb levels, and do a weight check in a couple of days - if I'm down at least a few pounds of water weight, I can probably safely stay the course (right?). Thanks!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I get sick of meat and cheese too. Plus I think cheese has been keeping me from losing more to be honest, so I'm trying to eat less.

Try eating more eggs, I usually have 2-3 for breakfast, whether I scramble them or hard boil.

I've been eating a lot of salad. I usually do romaine, with a pouch of tuna or I grill up chicken breast. I add shredded cheese, french fried onions, sliced almonds, and I make my own ranch dressing from the hidden valley packet with milk and sour cream. It is yummy plus super filling and all of it is low carb.

For dinner I do meat with a vegetable like green beans, cauliflower, etc.

Almonds or any kind of nuts are good to snack on too.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Another good snack is low glycemic veggies smothered in butter. Gets your fiber and fat in the same sitting without increasing your protein. :)
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sounds like its working well for you, atkins always talked about finding your "critical Carb number" and you may have found it, that place where you lose weight , and feel good