OHP form Rippetoe vs Mehdi

Options
SezxyStef
SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
I follow Stronglifts 5x5 and have watched his videos numerous times for form.

On his OHP he is stiff as a board...there is no movement, he appears to strictly push the bar up. Which is what I have been doing.

Tightening up glutes, legs, back (core) and pushing the bar up...

then I see this video from rippetoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc&list=HL1398351893

His method is most definately different...there is movement in the hips

I did this the last time I lifted (Monday) I found my lifts were so much "easier" than using the form Mehdi displays...

On Wednesday of last week I struggled hard to get 85lbs on set 4 rep 4/5 and set 5 rep 3/4/5...I got it but form was ugly so that is why I tried Rippetoe's form on Monday and the difference was substainial.

I understand that all of these people are going to have their own methods but what I don't want to do is "cheat" myself.

If OHP should be done with the stiff form Mehdi displays I can live with that...but if either is good...Yah.

All opinions welcome.

Replies

• Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    All in for thoughts on this as I am wondering the same thing.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Better use of muscles trying to be worked, allowing heavier load on them rather than supporting muscles being the weak link.
    More weight, better improvement.

I vote for Rippetoe method.

You can always do accessory lifts for the supporting muscles if they need them.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I'm at work right now but the short answer is it depends if you want to train it as an exercise or a movement.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Better use of muscles trying to be worked, allowing heavier load on them rather than supporting muscles being the weak link.
    More weight, better improvement.

I vote for Rippetoe method.

You can always do accessory lifts for the supporting muscles if they need them.

The nice thing with Rippetoes method I have no issues at all, the 85lb OHP went up like a dream and I am ready to add weight to it on Friday, which makes me very happy as I was on my 3rd deload if I couldn't get past this 85lb and now using his form suggestions it looks like I am good to go..

It just amazes me how much "form" and different methods can define how much you can lift.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Rippetoe is a trained strength coach.

Mehdi is some guy from Belgium who ripped off old Reg Park workouts and built a website around them.

Go with Rippetoe
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Rippetoe explains this in his book. He's all about the full-body training and keeping the bar path vertical so effort isn't wasted. In his program, military press is a full-body exercise, not an isolation exercise. It's good for the abs and easier on the rotator cuffs than an isolation press with the barbell.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just watched a video by Rippetoe training some folks on how to do the press and wow did I learn a lot.

Thanks for this question, it led me to hopefully a stronger OHP
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Just watched a video by Rippetoe training some folks on how to do the press and wow did I learn a lot.

Thanks for this question, it led me to hopefully a stronger OHP

I know it has done that for me...

Glad to hear I am not "cheating" myself...but actually benefiting my lifts and myself.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm at work right now but the short answer is it depends if you want to train it as an exercise or a movement.

Did someone watch the Dave Tate seminar recently? :happy:

The short answer is that neither is incorrect or inherently 'better', it depends on what you are trying to achieve, and to a certain extent how experienced you are and confident with your form and core strength.

The strict military press will not allow you to move as much weight due to a lack of momentum, but will focus more direct tension on the delts.

The added bit of movement will allow you to lift a little more and improve overall strength, though with any movement you need to pay closer attention to your form and technique.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I saw that video some time ago and used that technique for a few weeks. Sure it made getting the weight up there easier, but you would have to be careful to nail form, if you get tired seems like a good way to hurt the lower back.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am allowed to defend mehdi in a mehdi vs rippetoe showdown. The gorillas will tear me apart, and say something about the color of my purse.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I don't think I am allowed to defend mehdi in a mehdi vs rippetoe showdown. The gorillas will tear me apart, and say something about the color of my purse.

Sure you are...I am quite curious actually as they are so different and I have only been lifting for 7 months so in terms of skill I am such a newb.
    Did someone watch the Dave Tate seminar recently?
    Yes I have watched a few of his on youtube...So you think you can....

I didn't realize he had one for OHP...I will have to search it out.
    The strict military press will not allow you to move as much weight due to a lack of momentum, but will focus more direct tension on the delts.

The added bit of movement will allow you to lift a little more and improve overall strength, though with any movement you need to pay closer attention to your form and technique.

Yes I experienced this when I used Rippetoe's form suggestions, I could lift my current PR much easier but it did mean I was focusing on my "movement" quite extensively.

My goal is to improve Strength

Something to think about...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    This is related and somewhat interesting read:
    http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/JSH/JSH2001/JSH2803/JSH2803d.pdf
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Very interesting read. Shows the extreme nature of the form, wow.

I guess it depends on what muscle are you trying to work.

Even the ramrod straight old photo shows the bar is over the bicep, not the shoulder, in order to get past the nose on the way up. So a bigger combo of muscles must be stronger to accomplish that.
    If that's what you want to work in combo, then great.
    If you wanted more specific muscles, then it might not be enough weight for those.

Rippitoe's method though I don't see hip swing (as demonstrated anyway when he said "correct") as a way to cause upward movement, but to keep the back straight and get the nose/head out of the way without moving it, frame must leave vertical for a moment. There were some moments in his video though, not where he said correct though, where the head came back prior to the bar going past that point.

I'm viewing it the same as the dead lift, until the knees get straight enough to get the bar past them going up, you will be leaned over more.
    And so you can do a different style of deadlift, that focuses on different muscles, that gets the knees out of the way faster.
    Me with my long thighs, even more so, but I still do traditional because I do want to engage all those other muscles.

So different style, different muscle focus, both valid.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Did someone watch the Dave Tate seminar recently? :happy:

Haha not recently, but I thought all the powerlifting brofessors differentiated like that. It makes complete sense to me though, and pretty much agrees with the rest of what you said. :laugh:
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've always done it using Rippetoe's method. It just feels more natural than Mehdi's method.