Doctor Who Cosplay

Options
UmmSqueaky
UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
I can't be the only DW cosplayer in the house, can I?

Replies

• DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Sigh, I don't have a costume yet.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I haven't managed to create a costume either :sad: Some day, when I have a few extra dollars and hours! :laugh:
  • UmmSqueaky
    Options
    Here is my first DW cosplay, coincidentally the one that woke me up to just how fat I had gotten and kicked me started on losing weight. There are some really REALLY unflattering pictures of me in this costume, but here's one that doesn't make me look like a blimp. I cosplayed Molly O'Sullivan at Chicago TARDIS last November. Molly is an audio only companion of the 8th Doctor from Big Finish audio. She was one of the companions named by Eight in Night of the Doctor

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Molly_O'Sullivan

tumblr_mx3nn8vSBq1r6qymio2_1280.jpg

I plan on having my seamstress take in the costume before next Chicago TARDIS, cuz I'm going to weigh 75 lbs less by then (if all stays on track).
  • shunge86
    shunge86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Last Halloween I was the tardis and the year before I was the doctor... That's the extent of my cosplay.
  • UmmSqueaky
    Options
    And here is my cosplay in progress Bad Wolf Rose/the Moment from the 50th anniversary. I'm working on coloring and styling the wig. The new local DW convention is in a week and a half, so hopefully I'll get it done in time without destroying the poor wig.

14142961183_b9e3751ca1.jpg

And these are my convention ribbons, which I'll give out to those who say they like my costume

13898863158_b78ac7eb77_o.jpg

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
  • moondancer2010
    moondancer2010 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't have any DW cosplays made yet. Yet. I really want to make a Weeping Angel cosplay. And an 11th Doctor one too.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Last Dragon*Con, I went one day as one of the Clockwork Courtiers from The Girl in the Fireplace (one of my favorites, plus I have a Carnivale mask from Italy to use). Not a lot of bearded men in the Whovian universe (but I may try for the War Doctor this Con).
  • UmmSqueaky
    Options
    I don't have any DW cosplays made yet. Yet. I really want to make a Weeping Angel cosplay. And an 11th Doctor one too.

Weeping Angel costumes are awesome. Just make sure to use facepaint that doesn't rub off, otherwise you'll leave gray everywhere you go.

If you do an 11th Doctor, I suggest doing something with a little differentiation, because it's currently the most popular cosplay (perhaps tied with Castiel). Carrying a mop is a good way to stand out in the crowd :)
  • UmmSqueaky
    Options
    Last Dragon*Con, I went one day as one of the Clockwork Courtiers from The Girl in the Fireplace (one of my favorites, plus I have a Carnivale mask from Italy to use). Not a lot of bearded men in the Whovian universe (but I may try for the War Doctor this Con).

Pictures!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have no costumes. I'm really looking forward to getting costumes, though. I was in bed talking with hubby about it last night. He added that I should get a French maid costume, but I think his mind was elsewhere. :laugh:
  • moondancer2010
    Options

Weeping Angel costumes are awesome. Just make sure to use facepaint that doesn't rub off, otherwise you'll leave gray everywhere you go.

If you do an 11th Doctor, I suggest doing something with a little differentiation, because it's currently the most popular cosplay (perhaps tied with Castiel). Carrying a mop is a good way to stand out in the crowd :)

Thanks for the tip! My daughter cosplays Homestuck trolls, so she knows quite a bit about the whole grey paint and setting it thing. I was actually going to get a grey morph suit and cut out the face part since I'll be wearing a mask over my face anyway.

I also want to do a stylized Dalek cosplay complete with plunger and whisk! :)
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I have a few Cosplay people on my FL...I will need to give them a swift kick to get them over here. I myself am planning to do one...I just don't know when yet. I can't sew and so I will have to pay someone to make me a costume; plus lose a little more weight. Please, more people post pics and give tips.
  • UmmSqueaky
    Options

Thanks for the tip! My daughter cosplays Homestuck trolls, so she knows quite a bit about the whole grey paint and setting it thing. I was actually going to get a grey morph suit and cut out the face part since I'll be wearing a mask over my face anyway.

If anyone knows about gray paint, it's the homestuck people :) The morph suit is a great idea!

I love this stylized dalek from Chicago TARDIS last year

14144972605_bd6a6a8291_o.jpg
  • UmmSqueaky
    Options
    I have a few Cosplay people on my FL...I will need to give them a swift kick to get them over here. I myself am planning to do one...I just don't know when yet. I can't sew and so I will have to pay someone to make me a costume; plus lose a little more weight. Please, more people post pics and give tips.

I don't sew either. I have a sewing machine, so I could theoretically learn, but instead I pay my seamstress to do it for me. Luckily she lives right across the street.

Previous, I had put together costumes that could come from thrift stores (Sherlock, angel from Supernatural), but I wanted a tailored one for my first dedicated DW convention last November, so I had the Molly O'Sullivan costume put together. I was measured at the beginning of October 2013, and then when I went in for my fitting at the end of October, I had gained weight so the costume didn't fit! Waaaaah! Luckily my seamstress could make it big enough to fit, but that, coupled with some horrid pictures at the convention convinced me to start to lose weight. For my Moment cosplay, I was trolling etsy and happened upon someone who was selling hers that just so happened to be the right size for me currently. I'll have to have my seamstress bring it in if I want to wear it in the fall, but for now it's all good :)

While you're losing weight, I'd look for costumes that you can make out of stuff from a thrift store - a brown pin striped suit with a tie you can get from etsy plus some converse and a sonic and you're the 10th doctor :) Leather jacket, green or purple shirt and a sonic and you're 9. Slap a fez and bowtie on and you're 11. Heck, actually the Moment is a costume that can be put together with stuff you find at thrift stores. The basics are a long-ish dress, a shorter lace dress and a vest. You distress it all (soak the lace dress in tea, attack everything with scissors), tear up some black tights, style your hair or a wig and voila, you're good.

http://dw-cosplay.livejournal.com/1651919.html

I've hung out on the dw-cosplay livejournal for awhile now, just soaking in the info (i think you need a livejournal to see all the posts) - http://dw-cosplay.livejournal.com/
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I really need to lose more weight before I feel comfortable enough to cosplay. I am getting there though. There aren't a ton of female brunettes in new who and Clara isn't my favorite. I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open for what to cosplay in the Whoverse. However, one thing I KNOW I want to cosplay is Chell from Portal. I think it would be bada$$ to get nice defined arms and rock a Chell cosplay.

Portal.(Game).full.959263.jpg
  • TheDoctorDonna10
    Options
    When I get to my goal my husband has promised to take me to my first comic con for a weekend (SQUEE!!) & I will be dressing up. Since i'm a natural redhead & really don't want to wear a wig i've decided i'm either going to wear the Kissogram outfit Amy wears (but with better shoes) or i'm going to find/have made a really good TARDIS dress :happy:
  • HelloSweetie81
    HelloSweetie81 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

If anyone knows about gray paint, it's the homestuck people :) The morph suit is a great idea!

Oh, that costume is awesome! I think I can make that!
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Sorry. cant post my TARDIS lingerie on here.. can I???
  • moondancer2010
    Options

Love it!!!! I was thinking about using some of my varying sized hula hoops and attaching them together with rope or silk or something, then adding cut in half tennis balls down over the hoops. Add in a plunger and whisk and black top and voila! LOL
    I saw a great steampunk Tardis at Portcon last year. She really did a great job of it.

• UmmSqueaky
    Options
    Yay more (potential) cosplayers!

I'm working on my Moment wig for it's debut this weekend. I soaked it over the weekend and it's now almost dry. Have to color the roots, then do a bit of mussing and tie in some beads.