gardening

Options
1crvygrl
1crvygrl Posts: 490 Member
Is anyone planting a garden this year? A great way to get cheap produce and a good amount of exercise involved in the planting, maintenance and harvesting/canning.

I've had one for several years. Though I'm not a fan of raw vegetables, I do like some canned or frozen. This year I'm planting the usual tomatoes, carrots, green beans, green peppers and corn and added sugar snap peas.

Replies

• jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I just have a small area I can plant. I usually just plant a variety of tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers and this year I'm going to try some green onions and carrots. I don't have a real green thumb, but I like trying and it gets me outdoors. :laugh:
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I tried my hand at roses a few years ago. I love them but I'm just too lazy to do the upkeep. Now I grow wild flowers (aka, weeds).
  • 1crvygrl
    1crvygrl Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I tried my hand at roses a few years ago. I love them but I'm just too lazy to do the upkeep. Now I grow wild flowers (aka, weeds).
    My garden also grows an abundance of those(weeds), hence the exercise:bigsmile:
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    We only grow flowers and my hubby loves to grow bromeliads. I've developed a bad allergy to grass so can't do much outdoor gardening. The neigbours around our summer home grow lots of crops so there is plenty they just bring over or we buy.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    We have a small raised garden that my husband made using railroad ties. We also have several whiskey barrel planters. My hubby does the planting, and I help him out with the weeding. We usually enjoy several varieties of squash, cucumber, tomatoes, green peppers, and jalapeno peppers. Not sure what all he has planted this year.
  • cathy0536
    cathy0536 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    We are keen gardeners but currently half way through relandscaping it all, buying a new shed, moving the greenhouse, knocking down an old garage (that is going to fall down soon anyway) so no planting happened yet. However hubby has a week off with the boys the week after next and is looking to get the greenhouse finished and we'll buy some tomatoes and cucumbers small plants to grow in there. Really like growing strawberries and raspberries as well but not sure that'll happen this year.

My father in law has an allotment close by too so when they go off on holiday we get to pick and eat lots of goodies from there - squash, beans, corn, more berries :) Lots of fun