full body training

Options
chrisdavey
chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
http://ditillo2.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/full-body-workouts-cs-sloan.html

Good read about the merits of full body training. I have used full body training for the majority of my time lifting. For a brief period I was doing 3 days a week with one day for squats, one for bench and one for deadlifts but as I progressed I found that doing some upper body exercises on the squat and deadlift day was more beneficial.

What are your thoughts on full body training?

(some of the examples given are simple but DEFINITELY not easy!)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I haven't read the article yet but I'll check this out.

As far as general thoughts about full body training, I really enjoy it and I think it can be beneficial. I moved to a full body program shortly after I hired 3dmj for consulting (to get my nerd on with Helms basically) but I also had an injury just before I started, and I'm still working through it so I'm not able to realize the benefits of it yet, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Squatting and benching 3 out of 4 days per week is incredible.

I'll probably have more meaningful comments later but I'm only 1.5 cups of coffee into my morning.=)
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Tagging because I'd like to see the thoughts on this one. I just got into a discussion with someone about this very thing a few days ago.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    definitely one of my preferred methods for strength gains and actually I'm a big fan of the 7x5 method (or just increasing total workload with the same weight instead of adding more weight to the bar as a method of progressive overload in general).

The only thing I would say is from a bodybuilding perspective, over time I have found that I have a few body parts (side delts, biceps and of course calves) that just do not grow very well unless I isolate them.

If you try to put all that into a full body routine (plus I like to hit rear delts on their own) your sessions are getting close to 2+ hours.

Upper/lower split done twice per week is usually my fall back routine when I'm not doing any specific programming.