Pyramiding

Options
Spaghetti_Bender
Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
Just curious if anyone is incorporating this method into their routines. I used to do it years ago, but started doing it again. I do 4x 12/10/8/6 routine now, and as my workout goes on, i feel alot stronger.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Most of my training is in an ascending pyramid style but rather than do a predetermined progression (12/10/8/6/4 for example) my first set is normally 10 at a light / warm-up weight and each following set I aim for 10 reps or failure.

So six sets might look like 10/10/10/7/5/3 reps with increasing weights each time.

Main reason I do it this way is that I have a lot of damaged joints and need to build up steadily to my max weights to prevent injury. The downside is you are doing your heaviest weights when already fatigued.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I tend to do several reps at very low weight, then just run up singles up to my work sets. Work sets are either straight across or I'll slightly reduce the load after the top set.

My issue with standard pyramid sets is fatigue effecting the top set(s).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I tend to do several reps at very low weight, then just run up singles up to my work sets. Work sets are either straight across or I'll slightly reduce the load after the top set.

My issue with standard pyramid sets is fatigue effecting the top set(s).

^^what he said, for me also