Would you enter a race knowing you could come in last?

Options
2»

Replies

• emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! its all about finishing, beating my own preconceptions about my ability, pushing through and enjoying it.
    Comfort zones are great, but who knows what you can be capable of outside of your comfort zone unless you do it
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention this, but for my first trail race I didn't think I would make the cutoff at the end. I was just hoping they didn't stop me on the course, that they would allow me to finish. That was my biggest concern, that I would not be allowed to continue. Thoughts of "will I be last" never entered my mind.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    There's a special pride in being DFL!

But....
    Finishing last means you finished ahead of the sweepers.

Not sure how much experience you have, but are you aware of the existence of sweepers? One of the standard things that happens at a trail race is a volunteer starts running the course after everyone has started, and makes sure nobody's limping along with a broken ankle. If you're too slow at a trail race, the sweepers might ask you to wait for a ride at an aid station. You won't finish at all! I really have no idea when / if they'll be sweeping the course you're hoping to run. But DFL ain't no shame. Being swept.... frustrating.

The sweeping time usually isn't anything personal about slower runners - it typically has to do with permitting and sunset. It might be worth an email to the race director if you can't find info about course cutoffs in the race info.

Aaaaaaaaaand....... being swept is the reason I get out and bust my rear to get faster. The brutal reality of trail racing is that not all races are accommodating of slower runners, and many of the fun races aren't even accommodating to MEDIUM paced runners. I run a 5K in the lower half of the 24 minute range, and there are still many many races that I'm too slow for.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    When I was in college I was the worst runner on my track team at the end of the season. I wasn't the worst at the *start* of the season but everyone who was worse than me quit the team...and meanwhile I became a much better runner. I finished several races in last place.

As an adult, I haven't had that happen in a race but if the race was something I wanted to do, I wouldn't let the possibility of losing stop me. I prefer to find challenging races where there are no guarantees.

In fact one of my least satisfying races ever was one that I *won*! I felt like there just wasn't any serious competition in the race -- there are lots of people in my area who can easily beat me; the only reason I won is because those guys didn't enter.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!! I went through the same exact mess in my head on Friday (the day you posted this) :smile:

Small races always freaked me out for the very thought of "coming in last" so I never signed up for small races.

Sat 10th May 2014 saw a 10K absolutely wanted to do it but it was a small race. I was determined to overcome this fear this time ... Signed up for the race jus' 10 minutes before it started, got kids large shirt b'coz they ran out of adult size and freaking ran and PR'ed the race.

I kept passing people and no one passed me. In real high humidity of 94% hilly course I ran 1.09.53 (official chip time).

I amazed myself and it jus' couldn't get any better.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The last place runner finishing a race had a superior performance to all those who didn't run at all.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It was a very real possibility for my 40-mile race last year. As it turns out, 4 people finished after me, but I would have felt the same way if I was the last finisher. My goal was to finish, so mission accomplished!