Starting Today!! So scared!!

Options
I'm starting today. I'm dressed to go to the YMCA, and I'm publicly committing myself to this program. So scared, so excited, mostly nervous!!! I would love new friends doing this too, as I need the accountability, and encouragement. Wish me luck, and I'm happy to encourage any others too!!

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Oh hey, I replied in the other thread already, but welcome here also! Do you have good running shoes already?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared. You can do this.
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid! One of the great things about running is that if you have the right mindset, you're only ever competing with yourself. Just remember to take it slow and to never allow yourself to feel embarrassed. That was one of my hardest things to overcome.

When I first got back into running, I used the C25K program and would get in my own head and tell myself I was too slow, too heavy, too anything and bring myself down. A mile is a mile no matter the pace, and everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck and stick to it and you'll be so happy you did!
  • Minnikka
    Minnikka Posts: 7
    Options
    Oh my goodness!! Thank you for that comment!! I talked myself out of running today - and then I've spent 3 hours shaming myself!! It isn't impossible - I just need to go!!! I'm in for this evening! I'll make it happen!! :-)
  • sarahorange55
    Options
    C25K app or rather the podcasts are what I used and wow amazing - YOU CAN do this - you just have to start!! Take it easy take it slow and if you really feel you need to walk not run - then do it :D and don't make my mistake and just run a nice slow speed do not worry about the fact that you are running the same speed as your walking THAT IS FINE!!

Here is the podcasts link- give it a whirl - its free BTW :)

Just walk on first hearing music and then ion chime run then chime again walk and repeat :)
  • greentree0
    greentree0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness!! Thank you for that comment!! I talked myself out of running today - and then I've spent 3 hours shaming myself!! It isn't impossible - I just need to go!!! I'm in for this evening! I'll make it happen!! :-)

Do it this evening - I am doing my week 2 run this evening, so we can both report back tonight :-)
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. You'll do just fine, trust me. It's scary at first but I've seen myself get grumpy if I don't run. It takes time and if you need to redo a day or week then redo it. It will make you a better runner in the long run.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I started Couch to 5k 18 months ago. Getting my shoes on that first day was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. My best advice to you: just focus on today. You're not out to become a runner or commit to the program or make a life change. You're just going to get out there for thirty minutes and run as slowly as you can. See how it goes. No big deal. Just put on your shoes and open the front door.