Fitbit tdee

Options
gemheath2010
gemheath2010 Posts: 68 Member
Hello - haven't posted in a while I guess that's because I've been happy with my progress, and have just been happily plodding away. Sooo, few things have changed, I've signed up to run a half marathon next year - which is a huge thing for me as I've always hated running with a passion. I've started a training plan, which I'm really enjoying, but it also means that my goals at the gym have changed somewhat. I'm still doing weights etc, but have obviously also included a lot more running. I finished nrolfw and have moved on to nrol supercharged. I've also added in a extra long run on a Sunday, to start increasing my distance, so overall I am probably more active than before.
This means that I have had to have another look at my tdee, as it was having problems with being starving all the time again, which is a clear indication that something is wrong.
My weight kinda hovers around 10 stone 10 at the moment, which is fine, as that's not really my main focus. I totally love how I'm looking in my clothes at the moment, and am trying to find a bikini that best shows of my curvy figure :). I guess I have just been enjoying what I've been doing, and eating what I want without really thinking about how much I weigh, which seems to be a really healthy state of mind for me. I don't panic if I have gone over my calories, i just note it on mfp and carry on. I never restrict myself because of it.
So I checked my average according to fitbit, it has shot up from roughly 2200ish to over 2400 no wonder I've been hungry all the time. So recalculating my calories with 15% has me at 2076. So I'm intending on increasing my calories again, and will see where that leaves me.
Not really sure what the point of this post is lol, I guess I just wanted to let you guys that have just started know, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and stick with your reset, as the whole eat more to weigh less outlook is definitely something your body will thank you for. It's hard but try and concentrate on how your body's feels, do you have more energy? How does your skin look? Are you jumping out of bed in the morning rather than having to drag yourself? Have your workouts sudden taken of? It's not always a about the number on the scale....

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great application of eating level always based on activity level. Deficit or maintenance.
    And great attitude about food and eating, sounds like a good life long habit developed already.

It will be very tough as you start hitting bigger distances to not have lifting effect the running (I'm saying it that way as it seems the run will be the focus.

You might start thinking about how you can rearrange your schedule to not be too leg heavy with the additional running in there.

Like, still do upper body lifting 3 x weekly, but lower body only 1 x. Do it following a rest day, and the day after can be one of your 1 hr calm aerobic runs.
    That should allow repair from the lifting (because if you don't allow repair - why even waste time doing it? In that case it would just be additional stress the body can't recovery from).

And then on one of the other upper lifting days, do hill sprints, which will be like lifting for the legs, but really benefit the lifting.
    Hills should only be 15-45 seconds max, or only run up them that long, as hard as you can. Then walk back down. 15 min warmup, 7-10 hills, then 15 min cooldown. It'll feel like you did squats probably.
    Fitbit won't estimate these well usually. It sees steps, but no idea it's uphill fast.

Be aware most of the marathon training programs are not written for someone in a diet where recovery is impaired, but eating at maintenance. Usually not for someone lifting either, though I have seen some with that.

Do you log your strength training manually since the Fitbit is badly underestimating that burn?
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    What an awesome post! So happy for your success!
  • gemheath2010
    Options
    Great application of eating level always based on activity level. Deficit or maintenance.
    And great attitude about food and eating, sounds like a good life long habit developed already.

It will be very tough as you start hitting bigger distances to not have lifting effect the running (I'm saying it that way as it seems the run will be the focus.

You might start thinking about how you can rearrange your schedule to not be too leg heavy with the additional running in there.

Like, still do upper body lifting 3 x weekly, but lower body only 1 x. Do it following a rest day, and the day after can be one of your 1 hr calm aerobic runs.
    That should allow repair from the lifting (because if you don't allow repair - why even waste time doing it? In that case it would just be additional stress the body can't recovery from).

And then on one of the other upper lifting days, do hill sprints, which will be like lifting for the legs, but really benefit the lifting.
    Hills should only be 15-45 seconds max, or only run up them that long, as hard as you can. Then walk back down. 15 min warmup, 7-10 hills, then 15 min cooldown. It'll feel like you did squats probably.
    Fitbit won't estimate these well usually. It sees steps, but no idea it's uphill fast.

Be aware most of the marathon training programs are not written for someone in a diet where recovery is impaired, but eating at maintenance. Usually not for someone lifting either, though I have seen some with that.

Do you log your strength training manually since the Fitbit is badly underestimating that burn?

Ok awesome how does this look

Mon - leg day
    Squat
    Dead lift
    Lunges
    Hamstring curl
    Calf raises

Tues - easy run

Wed - upper body lifting
    Bench press
    Bent over row
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Bicep curl
    Tricep pull down
    Hill sprints

Thurs - run

Fri - upper body lifting
    Bench pres
    Lat pull down
    Shoulder press
    Tricep dips

Sat - distance run

Sun - rest day

I am also including the lifting calories in the fitbit calculations

Thanks
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've done this before - thinking about your workouts and arranging them well.
    That's excellent.

You got rest day before and after long run, so it can have the focus it needs, and recovery time.
    Eventually, you may notice that the Mon leg day starts getting harder as the distance goes up on Sat. You can still push out whatever you can do though, repair for the run should be over, so it's just tired muscles.

So you get the good repair form the hill sprints or intervals (if you have hills, that is better), try to limit the Thu run to upper aerobic zone, compared to Tue being upper Recovery or lower aerobic zone.

For marathon, you really have to train your fat-burning system to kick in early, and be predominant fuel for as high an effort as possible. Those 3 slower runs should accomplish it. The sprints increases the upper level of the aerobic zone higher, as well as strengthens running specific muscles.

Very good program.

And since you were talking about accepting eating level at whatever it may be at, that will probably include eating more post long run for 24 hrs. Just smaller deficit, don't have to be over TDEE or at maintenance. That might start including bigger eating level day before too as distance gets up around 20 miles. Well, except for whole week prior to race. You'll want those extra pounds gained indicating you've topped off glycogen stores.
  • gemheath2010
    Options
    Brilliant thank you for your advice - I shall implement the plan on Monday, really looking forward to it