Low-intensity core workouts

Options
Sedna_51
Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
Hi all! I've got a slightly unusual situation and I'd love to hear some input. I had laparoscopic abdominal surgery about a month ago (I had appendicitis, fortunately I'm fine now). My surgeon told me not to lift anything over 10 pounds for 6-8 weeks post-surgery. So right now I'm doing my usual cardio and working on upper and lower body strength. Does anyone have recommendations for lower-strain, lower-intensity core workouts that I can start out with once I'm cleared for abdominal workouts again? I didn't have a whole ton of core strength to start with, I'm afraid, so the easier, the better. I'd rather not show up at the surgery clinic with an umbilical hernia.

Thanks!

Replies

• LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You'll obviously have to get clearance from your doctor but have you ever looked at Pilates? I think it's an excellent but not too strenuous core workout and I suppose if you talk to a professional Pilates instructor and your doctor, they might be able to give you more advice on specific movements or exercises you should not do at this point.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Pilates! That is an excellent idea- thank you!
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I second pilates (and yoga) with your doctors blessing. If you want stuff to do at home, look up blogilates, it's free online pilates workouts. :)