New to Paleo - Recipe Question

Options
iwillrun2
iwillrun2 Posts: 34 Member
I've been looking online for Paleo recipes. I have found one "elena's pantry' which has quite a number of recipes for muffins, etc which uses almond flour. I've never seen almond flour in the store (guess i was only looking at the regular wheat flour). Can some of you experienced in paleo let me know that you would use these recipes? I'm only about 3 days into Paleo but will like this lifestyle.Its totally do-able but if I could use these recipes it would give me a lot more variety. Thanks!

Almond Flour Muffins
4 ounces blanched almond flour (about 1 cup)
4 ounces eggs (about 2 large eggs)
1 ounce honey (around 1 tablespoon)
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar1.In a medium bowl, combine almond flour and baking soda
2.In a large bowl combine eggs, honey and vinegar
3.Stir dry ingredients into wet, mixing until combined
4.Scoop about ¼ cup of batter at a time into a paper lined muffin pan5.Bake at 350° for 15 minutes, until slightly browned around the edges
6.Cool in the pan for ½ hour
7.Serve with butter and raspberry jamMakes 4 muffins

To make a loaf of quick bread, simply double the above batter and bake it for 35-40 minutes on the lower rack of your oven in an 6-½ x 4-inch baby loaf pan (Luminarc).

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    There are many great Paleo substitutes for baked goods. My recipe books are full of them.

A word of caution, though unsolicited (only because you said "new to Paleo") : if you are looking to lose weight Paleo baked goods are likely to hinder you. Maybe not right in the beginning, but before long. They are often high in starch and sugar (even natural sugar is problematic when one has a disordered metabolism). I made the mistake of incorporating them a bit too much in the beginning, but I mostly have to avoid them now. Just like the other baked goods I used to have, I can't usually stop with just one portion. Any food that stimulates me to over-eat and crave more is not beneficial for ideal health and fat loss.

They are great for special occasions though. My child's Paleo birthday cake last year was the most delicious cake ever.