Check-in for week of May 14-20

Options
13»

Replies

• ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options

I have a confession to make. I'm not making excuses, or looking for anything. I'm just going to say:

I HATE EXERCISING.

I have always disliked it and except for a couple of brief periods in my life where regular exercise turned into an enjoyable habit.. I have always looked for reasons to avoid it. This is the pattern of my entire life and I don't know why I think it should be any different now that I've reached the ripe old age of 64.

Yup, me too. My line has always been - I only like to sweat for two reasons, and one of them is dancing :blushing:

There are times when I'm walking that it actually feels good mentally and physically, but most of the time not. And I try to do it anyway, so that I can eat a little more, or lose a little more weight. I don't walk because I love it (often), but because I need to - the same way I feel about some of the chores I have to do around the house. As the number of birthdays celebrated keep adding up, I realize I can only count on so many more active & healthy years, and they won't be active or healthy if i don't do something about it now. In three months, my husband continually remarks about how much more energy I have, how much more active I'm willing to be and how much my overall outlook has improved.

So, Cris, I'm going to be the mean witch and say yes, you hate it but do a little every day anyway. The rewards are great, and the downsides of not doing so are unpleasant. :heart:

-ker < taking the black robe off to reveal the fairy godmother outfit again. Anyone need to borrow my pointy hat?>
  • Claud1313
    Claud1313 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Ker, I'll take the pointy hat and be the witch. Everything you said is right on. If we don't take care of ourselves at 'this' age, things will get worse and quickly.

Except for dancing, I've never, ever liked exercise and never did it regularly, hence the way I look. But now that I'm older and retired, I make myself my job and everyday, my job is to take care of myself. I signed up with a very nearby gym, work with a trainer a few days a week because it forces me to move and I am around other people who care about themselves.

Cris, I've never been sorry that I worked out. I always feel good after I do it.

Happy Trails,

Claudine
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm (usually) always glad AFTER I exercise.

It's the thinking about it that I hate.

I am not making any excuses. I know I should, I know it's good for me, I know I might actually lose weight faster.

I
    just
    hate
    it.

:sad:
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options

I
    just
    hate
    it.

Pssst, Cris, I do too! I don't understand the mind set of runners (sorry Jean) and cyclists (sorry Ukaryote) although I envy them a bit. My 36 y/o son lives in Galveston now, right across from the seawall. He has an incredible view of the Bay from his apartment. And yet... when he's not working, he's a gym rat. He does run on the seawall occasionally, but he prefers to be inside, in the gym lifting weights and playing basketball. Like 7 days a week, hours a day. He looks great, but... I don't get it :huh:
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options

I
    just
    hate
    it.

Pssst, Cris, I do too! I don't understand the mind set of runners (sorry Jean) and cyclists (sorry Ukaryote) although I envy them a bit. My 36 y/o son lives in Galveston now, right across from the seawall. He has an incredible view of the Bay from his apartment. And yet... when he's not working, he's a gym rat. He does run on the seawall occasionally, but he prefers to be inside, in the gym lifting weights and playing basketball. Like 7 days a week, hours a day. He looks great, but... I don't get it :huh:

:heart:

Thanks for understanding. :love:

I WILL continue to work on exercising.
    I did take 2 whole weeks off.

But. Tomorrow. Really, I will get BACK on the bike. Or! if the weather is nice, I'll go for a walk.

Truly, one of the things I miss about California is--walking. Our weather was moderate most of the year, and even in wintertime, I could get out and walk. There were MILES of sidewalks in our neighborhood. I'd put my MP3 player in my pocket, grab my hat and off I'd go. Also there was a swimming pool in our townhome complex, and in the summer I'd often go out and swim a few laps and hang on the side and do "bicycle kicks".

If I had a "favorite exercise", the pool would be it. If I could find a time to myself with no kids out there.. it was like being on vacation.. just me, the soothing water and the gardeners.... :laugh:

Here.. we're out in the county and there are no sidewalks. I can go up across the road into another neighborhood, but it's a road, not a sidewalk. Walking on the main road is a death-defying stunt I will not attempt; too much traffic. And. The weather!?
    I can't depend on it to be nice, even when it's NICE. Too hot, too wet, too humid, too cold. Do these sound like feeble excuses?
    Ok!! That works for me!

Anyway.
    Thanks for reading. I'll do better tomorrow.

I promise.

:flowerforyou:
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Had my weekly, Monday, 1 1/2 lb. loss. I stay pretty much at the same place all week and then, boom! Always on Sunday or Monday. I might lose another 1/2 lb. tomorrow, but probably not. I feel bloated.

We have had two beautiful days in a row. Cool, sunny, no humidity. I feel guilty admitting this, but I now have the opposite problem from many of you; I have gotten so into the exercise it is like an addiction. Today is my day off, but I go play with the grandkids on Monday mornings. Set the alarm early so I could go for a mile and a half walk before I went there. After I was done with them and had lunch, I went and worked out. Rode stationary bike and then walked about another 2 miles on the indoor track.

Went to my favorite café and had to force myself to sit and read. Yesterday, I went, too, but couldn't sit to read. Ended up going for a walk uptown and then on to a botanical gardens because we have a very small uptown. All that was after I had worked out at the gym.

I am officially addicted to walking. I did order a very light resistance band. When it comes, I could better stand to become addicted to toning. I really need to do more of that.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Linda,

Hope everything works out okay at the cardiologist. I belong to a group called Cardiac Support Buddies on MFP. It is not very active, but seem that people respond when someone posts. Heart problems create a whole different dynamic with weight loss and exercise depending on what the problems are.

Keep us informed.

Charlie
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Good afternoon!

I've stayed on track today (so far) and did a good 16 minutes on my exercise bike.
    Not really much to brag about but... :drinker:

My allergies have been bugging me and I'm kind of wheezing... gak. Anyway, onward and upward.
  • retiredholly54
    retiredholly54 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love you guys - except for Charlie - just kidding, I would love to have a little of her addition to exercise, but she has been very supportive to me. I live in the country too and it is not easy to walk beside the roads and the weather has been crappy. The one day I attempted to walk outside I got soaked, so I tried just dancing around the house-went overboard and today my legs were killing me so only danced for 17 minutes - apparently vacuuming, even if you try dancing while your doing it does not count as exercise. So weigh in is tomorrow for me, there should be a new weekly topic so I will check in with you guys there.

Holly
  • hayleyandpaigesgrandma
    hayleyandpaigesgrandma Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My weigh in tonight was only down a quarter pound. At least it wasn't up a quarter pound. WELCOME to all new people. I too hate to exercise and struggle to get close to 3000 steps in what with the old hips and knees. My son is a police officer and is constantly working out and his wife does many charity walks. I must admit that I envy their fitness levels. I hope we can work through this process together.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Holly,

LMAO! I love you anyway!

It is harder to walk outside especially without sidewalks. I got caught in a hail storm on Saturday so I know what you are going through. Ouch.

But, I am very, very lucky in that my entire suburban town has sidewalks. We have so many parks in my town that it is one of our big selling points. At the end of my street, there is one that has a walking trail about .85 miles and goes through some woods and around the soccer fields. To there, around and back is 1.5 miles. I am actually within walking distance of 5 parks and all but one have walking paths and one is large and wooded enough to have several hiking/nature trails. Biking is huge here, too, with bike paths criss-crossing the whole city. Finally, we have an absolutely wonderful Community Center that has two pools, a huge fitness center that they are talking about doubling, aerobics center, etc. etc. and it isn't very expensive for me at 63 (I get senior pricing). Once I hit 65, it will be free with Silver Sneakers.

Finally, I work in downtown Columbus and can walk in a beautiful historic district (except for those cobblestones slow you down) or along the river, or through our Central Commons Park.

I love your dancing idea and was laughing at your newsfeed update. Walking is not the be-all and end-all. There are some great dance workout videos on youtube. How about Bollywood dancing or belly dancing?

Your friend (anyway),
    Charlie
  • retiredholly54
    retiredholly54 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reply Charlie - ya know I love ya. Thanks for the tips - once the weather gets better there is a walking park not too far away.
    I hate driving - the reason I took a bridge to retire - and since I'm retired cannot afford to go to the Y anymore. I can't seem to follow those dance videos - no rhythm and two left feet - I get frustrated so I'm just doing my own thing. Will do stretches or pick a song with a slower pace to warm up so I won't get the shin splint pain.

Holly