Newbie! Gastric sleeve- how was your post op recovery?

Options
Hi Ladies and Gents, I'm new to this area, I'm 32 mother of 1,Transformation Manager at a large NGO and come from Australia (originally Sheffield UK) and was looking for people's stories on recovery after sleeve op. I'm no stranger to the similar surgery, after having a band in 2011 loosing 40kgs falling unexpectedly pregnant (I was told I wouldn't naturally conceive, beautiful blessing) and then having my band slip during pregnancy so four operations on from first and I'm due to have the sleeve in August. All my weight went back on when the band slipped and I really now have such a strong sense that these are just tools and my unhealthy relationship with food feels like an addiction so I've also got an intensive course of behavioural psychologist appointments to help with coping strategies during high danger times etc and to make big in roads with my mind as well as my body, I've bored myself stupid with all the medical facts and risks and delighted myself by obsessively watching the pre and post op piccys on the internet and so basically I am soooooo ready to do this and I'm tackling it at many different angles, I can not put myself, body and family through more surgery and not have some success so it's on. I'm just recovering from my last surgery (Monday) and realised I hadn't really considered the recovery. Other than the 'usual' op recovery issues (pain, shoulder tip etc) what have you guys noticed was significant to the sleeve op (particularly anyone who's already gone through band op) thanks so much in advance for your help :) feeling pumped BRING IT OOON!

Replies

• stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had RNY, so can't really answer your question, but just wanted to say welcome and best of luck!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had the RNY from the beginning so, much of what I say may not apply, however from watching others go through it at the hospital and surgical group, I've found the recovery steps are much the same.

The big thing, is walking. Walking, walking, walking. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it is important. I helps erm...get things moving after surgery. I helps with gas. You will have ALOT of gas post-op, and it will be painful at times. Walking helps get rid of it. It helps strengthen your core, healing the holes that they punched in your abdomen.

Don't be afraid to ask for additional pain meds. When I had surgery they tried to have me go without an on-demand pain pump. That ended badly. I got very behind in my pain management and was absolutely positive that I was dying for about the period of an hour while they got the pump approved and installed. So take my advice, don't wait until you are already having significant pain to ask. Morphine is great stuff!

For other non-recovery tips, I find one that many people make is to stock up on protein pre-op. Don't do it! You'll regret it. Your tastes will change. Crazy as it sounds, it's true. Instead, buy some sample packs so that you don't waste a ton if you don't like a flavor. You'll probably be able to drive on your own within about 10 days, so just plan on having enough sample packs for 2 weeks. This means probably some where 42 samples. Depending on the brand of protein you may need to take 3 of them in the beginning to meet your protein requirements.

Lastly, post-op the most important thing that you can do at home is sip, sip, sip. Your tummy will be very swollen, and won't hold much at all. Dehydration is the leading cause of bariatric patients to end up back in the hospital. You need 64 oz a day of water min. That doesn't include water in protein shakes, or caffeinated beverages (which you shouldn't be having anyway). And if your guidelines are the same as mine, you need at least 60 gm of protein daily from your supplements to start. So constantly sip that stuff too!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved last June so almost a year ago. My recovery was really easy, all things considered. I was up and walking about an hour after surgery. Off pain meds during the day about three days out and off them at night after maybe five days. I didn't have any nausea or vomiting. Mostly I was tired. I did have some pain at my drain site but even that was manageable.
    Walking is definitely critical! I was up and doing laps around the ward floor every hour starting an hour after surgery.
    Another thing I would say is when they take you to your hospital room after surgery, don't let them put you in the bed! It will just tempt you to lie around and sleep. Plus it is more painful to get in and out of bed than a chair. Have them put you in a chair/on a sofa/whatever is in your room that is not a bed!
  • ItzfitKat
    ItzfitKat Posts: 9
    Options
    I had the VSG surgery in September of 2013. I have since lost 73 pounds. for me, the surgery itself could not have gone better. I was up and walking that same day. The nurses told me to rest up more but I wanted to move. I walked daily and felt fine. I never had any issues with nausea or vomiting and I didn't have much stomach acid problems either. I took the pain meds while I was in the hospital but not once I got home. I was only sore around the incision sites and everything else was fine.

the next few months I really focused on how (must chew slower), when (5 to 6 small meals a day) and what I eat (protein first, then maybe veggies or fruit). Drinking water is definitely a requirement but not 30 minutes before or after a meal. At first it was hard to get in enough protein and calories a day but that passes.

Good luck to you, I hope your surgery is uneventful and you see the success you are seeking.
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    I had VSG on 2/12. It wasn't the easiest surgery I've ever had but much of that was due to the gas that they use to inflate the abdomen for the procedure. Gas rises and my ribs and clavicles hurt terribly for a few hours. I walked and walked but still had to wait out that pain. Once the gas was gone, all was well. The incision pain was pretty minimal as long as I moved slowly and carefully when getting up and down. I was never sick to my stomach during the first couple weeks so that was a big relief to me. I had a motion sickness patch on my neck as well as other anti-nausea meds for pre-op and continued them post-op for a few days.
    I'm still learning the lesson of eating very slowly. Most of the time, it's fine, but then I'll eat a few spoonfuls too fast and up it comes again. About once a week, my stomach rebels and reminds me that I'm learning that lesson too slowly. LOL.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I had VSG on 9/14/13. I was released from the hospital the next day and never required narcotic pain meds. Walked as much as I could the first few weeks. Doc prescribed full liquids for 2 weeks and purees after that. Everything went down fine. I returned to work 10 days after surgery. All in all, it went way easier than I thought it would.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had VSG on 9/14/13. I was released from the hospital the next day and never required narcotic pain meds. Walked as much as I could the first few weeks. Doc prescribed full liquids for 2 weeks and purees after that. Everything went down fine. I returned to work 10 days after surgery. All in all, it went way easier than I thought it would.

My experience was almost identical, except that I took a full two weeks off. Well, I did do some work from home, but I was BORED!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Had my sleeve July 2011. Was sleeved on a Thursday in the morning, up and walking that afternnon, off all pain meds by Saturday morning and no complications at all. I did take the full two weeks off, but it was more so I was sure I had a good understanding of the food requirements and what I needed to take with me to work for snacks and meals. I'm almost 3 years out now and still bring my own breakfast and lunch most days. It's much easier to stay on track that way.
  • Kezonator
    Kezonator Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you everyone sounds like it's very similar to the previous barbaric surgery I've had which is a huge huge relief, I've always been up and walking the same day and resisted pain mess once home :) what a difference a forum can make :) and wow congrats on all the weight loss!! Roll on August !!!! Wish I'd had a sleeve first :)
  • Kezonator
    Options
    Haha oops I meant barriatric not barbaric haha ;)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Haha oops I meant barriatric not barbaric haha ;)

OMG that is hilarious! Freudian slip? :-)
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be a newbie in 10 days!! I'm excited and a little nervous! Glad to see this group/post!!!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    For me, recovery was a breeze. Right out of surgery I was tired, of course, but then did have a mild reaction to the pain meds they were giving me. I slept nearly the first 24 hours post of, but only to recover from the reaction. Once it was out of my system I was great. I was up, walking slowly, and ready to go home as planned.

I am allergic to multiple pain meds, so they gave me liquid tylenol to take home. Knowing this would do squat for me I skipped any pain meds, and as it turned out I didn't need them. I only felt discomfort here and there the first couple days, but nothing that warranted pain meds.

I didn't need the anti-nausea meds they gave me because I didn't feel any at home (the only nausea I felt was caused by the pain meds I was getting in the hospital, and after I had to do the barium swallow for the leak test.) To be honest, drinking the barium was the absolute worst thing about this whole process. It was the nastiest thing EVER! I kept it down long enough to get the x-rays and then it came right back up!

I was back to work in less than a week. I am a part time university lecturer, so my job isn't really physical. I only felt a bit tired at the end of my days.

There are folks who don't have it as easy as this, but even they say any issues are 100% worth it in the end. I have lost 80 lbs to date, I am still losing regularly (while it's slowed a bit), but my life has improved tremendously! I have TONS more energy, ambition, and feel fantastic. I can only imagine it's going to get better as I continue to lose.

Good luck & congrats on taking steps for a healthier you for yourself and your family.
  • Kezonator
    Options
    So great to hear everyone's stories and most seem fairly consistent... When you think about what's actually going to happen you feel a little eeeeek about it but that always disappears when I hear from normal people who are living happily with the same thing.. Everyone's comments really make a difference! :)
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve on 5/5/14. I had very little pain. They gave me a narcotic pain pump, but it just made me nauseated (both dilauded and the morphine). So they put me on a non-narcotic one and it was fine, but I really didn't need it. I was released on Wednesday the 7th and stopped taking the pain pills they Rxed me almost immediately. It did hurt a bit to roll over in bed and I could definitely feel the pressure in my lungs/abdomen when I was laying on my back, but that went away really quickly. I went back to work on Wednesday the 14th. Right now, other than some itchiness around my incisions I feel fine. I'm still trying to work on really chewing my foods and eating slowly. I thought the no food and drink at the same time thing would be my issue, but it's slowing down and taking 30 minutes to eat my food!