new to the group: first month paleo

Options
Amberonamission
Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
Hi all! I have been battling weight and extreme hunger my whole life. I think I was under a size 14 for about 15 min, when I was 18. I had lost 100 pounds and only went down 3 clothing sizes (as I recently discovered, due to belly bloat). 1700 calories, 1 hour minimum of intense exercise daily. I was cranky and still didn't feel great like I hoped. Always felt like I was starving. Regained that 100 pounds way quicker than I lost it. Boo

So a month ago I was sitting with my husband talking about how something had to give.. He was gaining, our kid was gaining quickly. I always said that I ate much healthier than many people. I have taken nutrition twice, I have a medical background, I should know how to do this!! But hunger never stopped.. To the point of waking up at 3 am because my stomach was growling, only to find a family member already in the kitchen. So I told Vic I was going to look into Paleo. I have been looking into GMO foods and hormone injected dairy and meat, and was looking to get rid of those things. Maybe we could take it a bit further.

So we, as a family, cut it all out, all grains, all things processed, sugar (except my daughters tiny square of good dark chocolate nightly), fake sugar, dairy (ouch my favorite), and beans (bye bye favorite hummus).

Day 3 unanimous vote; not near as hard as expected. Personally, all of my pains disappeared. My foot, my hip, my lower back, no pain. A first in over a year.

Day 7 everyone reporting better sleep and bathroom time (sorry tmi), and no cravings. It was fun watching us deflate, like someone let the air out of a balloon.

Week 2 the realization that fruit is so much sweeter than ever before. And watching my daughter slug a glass of almond coconut milk (previously referred to as glass o dirt). Taste buds were changing.

Week 3 clothing coming out of the goodwill bag, and looking good. Full nights sleep, no naps or sluggish afternoons.

This week. Neither Vic or I have had heartburn. Everyone's skin is smooth and sparkling (after a being few days of acne). My teenage daughters grades are up a whole level in each class. Everyone is in a good mood. This isn't hard. Hmmmm.

I think my body has not liked the fuel I have been putting in it for a lifetime. Things I have promised myself this time are the good parts of all the things I have learned before.. Like I am not getting on the scale unless it is the quarterly trip to the doctor. I will view loss by the whole collection of tight shorts that I own. I will not count calories or points. I will just eat what I am allowed to have and put an extra veg where the carb used to be. I will eat 3 meals until I am full and a small nosh, instead of the eat every 2 hours thing that never worked for me.

Adding in some barre method soon to tighten up what gravity is tugging on. So far so good! I will try to keep you all posted to my progress.

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got it handled! It's amazing when you find what actually and almost effortlessly works in a way of eating, isn't it? Best of luck to you on your journey and sending a friend request. :-)
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    Last nights dinner, paleo chicken "tacos". Spicy, shredded chicken, with roasted onions and green peppers and garlic. Served in romaine lettuce leaves. Gotta give this one a B+.

I think we all over did the watermelon. That sucker a gone in 2 days. Better than eating a gallon of ice cream.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    That's such wonderful news! Glad your family has seen so much success in their diet shift. You're probably getting in all the vitamins and minerals you may have been missing before, and I know just how good a lower carb diet can feel. You must be so proud of everyone!
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    Thanks! I am really proud of them. It's the first time we are all in together. My family is the best
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    I've been doing pretty good. Another 2 pound loss. I know I said I wouldn't with myself, but I can't help it. Feeling pretty good.

Tonight's dinner: home made sauerkraut with pork shoulder steaks. It smells wonderful.
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    Since starting I am down 25 pounds. I got salmonella this last weekend. It was miserable but it killed about 7 pounds.

Which made me think of my college roommate. She would say that when ever she needed to lose 10 pounds she would have "window ceviche" meaning she would leave a pound of shrimp in the sun for a day and eat it with lime. So gross. But, I guess being really sick works. Ha!