Irregular weight loss during keto - normal?

I find myself these past couple of weeks losing the bulk of my weight the last 2-3 days (mostly weekend) before my monday weigh in. In terms of food intake it is no different but I do admit i do more exercise during the weekend - maybe an hour more in cardio and if days nice i do hike 9-10 miles. My question is is the loss i am looking at due to the weekend all water weight or a mix? Last week for example i was still weighing the same as Monday on Friday but ended up losing 3lbs or so. last night i weighed i am 1.5 or so lower than monday...

Replies

• Yes, it happens, It's normal in Keto, It's not a linear chart, Don't worry :)
  • anndelise
    anndelise Posts: 14
    Look up fat loss whooshes, is that similar to what you are talking about?

Also, while I do weigh myself each day, I don't pay much attention to it beyond how it affects my trend weight. Trend weight is a 7 or 10 day moving average. In other words, a 7-Day Avg takes the total of the most recent weigh-in plus the previous 6 days and divides the result by 7. If my recent weigh-in is below that avg, then it helped bring my trend weight lower. If it is above the avg, then it raises the trend weight. Here's an online graph that logs for a 10 day trend weight: https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet or look up HackDiet images to see what the graphs look like. I used that concept to create my own spreadsheet.

This really helps reduce the emotional highs and lows that might result in daily weighing. It's my trend weight that I'll be putting into my MFP log. So while I might have seen 209 yesterday, my trend is 212, and it's still a good sign if today's weigh-in is 211 or so, because it's still less than the trend weight. I'm still considered losing weight even if todays turns out higher than yesterdays. Also, it helps take into account the variables that could affect a weigh-in. (And for people who are dieting temporarily, the trend weight gives them an idea of how much bounce back they can expect.)
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    I have seen seven LB swings in my weight in a week. More yhan half of your body weight is water and it's normal for water weight to fluctuate.
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    I was just about to post a similar question, but instead I'll comment here. I'm near the end of week 5 on keto, and I've noticed I lose weights in "splurts" Like for several days there will be little or no weight loss but then BAM! I get on the scale one morning and have gone down over a pound. It's good to know others are experiencing non-linear weight loss too, and I'm not the only one. But the good thing is, it's a general downward trend over all, even if I might go 4 or 5 days without a significant drop.
  • youdontknowme9
    youdontknowme9 Posts: 73 Member
    Download Libre to your phone...weigh in when you want...it helps with the frustration.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    For me its definitely been an up & down battle. I'll go for a week fighting with the same pound or two, and then all of a sudden I'll drop 2-3 lbs and then go up a pound, but still in the grand scheme of things I'm down a bit. Its frustrating but I know its working, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was but big ol' butt :)