Different calorie data on one food item...confused

Options
LiftAndBalance
LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
So I bought this yogurt and just wanted to log it as my snack for tomorrow afternoon. Then I saw that the package has two different calorie and macro stats, and now I'm confused. It's a German brand so there's the data printed on it by the manufacturer. Since I live in Finland, there's also a sticker on it which has the product info in Finnish and that one gives higher data for calories, protein and carbs, and slightly lower for fats. Anybody have an explanation for this? I do realise that the data on packages is allowed to be a certain percentage off but I just can't understand how they can have different data printed on one item!?

If it helps, the respective info given is (German first, Finnish second):

calories: 131 kcal - 139 kcal
protein: 2.6g - 2.8g
carbs: 12.1g - 14.7g
fat: 8.0g - 7.7g

Luckily the differences aren't dramatic, I'd just like to understand the reason...

Replies

• sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Are the serving sizes different too?
  • LiftAndBalance
    Options
    Nope, that's the thing. Should have mentioned that...it's both for 100 g.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    If you multiply it out (such as CHOx4 cals per gram, proteinx4 cals per gram, fatx9 cals per gram), they both work out. My guess is that the wrong Finnish label was attached. Here in Greece, all the foreign products have a white sticker attached over it and I get the feeling it is done manually, b/c they are stuck differently on every one (I know b/c I usually try to search one that it doesn't cover the original manufacturer's info. So "human error" could easily cause the wrong sticker to be put on it. I'd go by the manufacturer's sticker. Also, if the Finnish sticker has also ingredients and name, it might be a clue--for example if you have a peach yogurt and the ingredients shows strawberries, then you'll know it was just a switched sticker. But anyway, I'd go by the manufacturer's label. Also, have you searched it in MFP, maybe it's already listed correctly by name or by barcode?
  • LiftAndBalance
    Options
    It's the same here with the stickers. But I checked, the rest of the info is "correct", i.e. both for the same yogurt with the same ingredients. MFP didn't have it listed yet so I entered it with the manufacturer's info. But still confused ^^