35 carbs first day! Yikes!

Options
kellymcwest
kellymcwest Posts: 26 Member
I don't know how I managed this but I hit 35 carbs the first day.

Really celery has 4 grams of carbs in 4 stalks?!

Than I read after the fact you can't have peanuts or peanut butter until week 3.

I thought I was doing pretty good. It is a whole heck of a lot less carbs than I've ate in the past and I'm sure I'm fine. I just need to learn this program.

Replies

• crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You could open up your diary to public viewing so that we can help you make some other choices in the future.

Are you counting net carbs (total carbs minus fiber, as it's not processed by the body in the same way) or total carbs only?

When you're tracking your food, are you doing it by weight, volume, or counting pieces. There's a lot of discrepancy between a volumetric measurement and a weight measurement, for instance. A cup of broccoli might not be the same as it's supposed equivalent in weight depending on how it was cut. If you're saying you had 4 stalks of celery, they could be of so many varying sizes and weights. The only way to be certain is to have a digital food scale and weigh what you're eating. Measuring cups and spoons are for liquids, not solids. Makes it a lot easier to fix a problem when you have all the information.
  • kellymcwest
    kellymcwest Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am going by what the tracker in here is telling me. I'm just going try to stick to low carb and gradually add foods as the weeks progress per suggestions on Atkins,
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I followed the latest version of Atkins for induction - which is to stay around 20 to 25 net grams ( meaning you subtract your fiber count from the carb count). According to that version you did fine!

If your peanut butter is natural no sugar added I wouldn't sweat having a serving but you need to weigh that on a scale instead of using a spoon.. 2 TBs of PB is way smaller than ya think!
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I managed this but I hit 35 carbs the first day.

Really celery has 4 grams of carbs in 4 stalks?!

Than I read after the fact you can't have peanuts or peanut butter until week 3.

I thought I was doing pretty good. It is a whole heck of a lot less carbs than I've ate in the past and I'm sure I'm fine. I just need to learn this program.

When I started Atkins I went through the same issue, I would eat something and then look it up then realize I should not have eaten that! I took about 3 days till I settled into eating all of the correct foods. Remember you are tracking net carbs, Carbs - Fiber = Net carbs
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am going by what the tracker in here is telling me. I'm just going try to stick to low carb and gradually add foods as the weeks progress per suggestions on Atkins,

I understand, but you didn't answer any of my questions. It's hard to help you without any information.