New to the Group

Options
Hi,

I'm new to the group. I'm definitely an emotional eater. I eat when I'm bored, sad, mad, or stressed. I generally don't think about food too much when I'm happy or in a good mood. On occasion, I will feel like eating to 'celebrate' when I'm in a good mood. It's just to celebrate that I'm a good mood, I guess. Just another excuse to eat.

I've spoken with a couple of therapists about my emotional eating, but I haven't gotten past the "you need cognitive behavioral therapy" thing. They haven't offered any solutions to it despite me pressing the issue. I'm hoping that I can find help here.

Replies

• Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi, I finally decided to do something about my health.
    I have always over eaten and whilst I was aware of this I was reluctant to stop. I wanted to stop the consequences of eating too much, not the behaviour.
    I've tried in the past and had mixed success.
    I turn to food for emotional comfort, Like you I have eaten when sad, happy, and bored.
    I've been eating to a plan since September 2013, which is working for me. I used the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calculations and I exercise for my health.
    I hope to keep on track.
    I occasionally get the desire to compulsively eat but have been able to wait for it to pass.
    I hope you are successful.
  • tco1y
    tco1y Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you. Food is one of the main comforts I have, but when I start emotional eating, I don't have the willpower to stop. It just becomes this huge binge. Then I feel guilty and depressed that I did it. I'm going to be using the numbers that they give me in my food diary on here to keep track of calories and how many I've burned. I'm hoping to get to where I can resist the desire to compulsively eat. I wish you success.