What are the rules of your plan?

Options
yellowdaisy3321
yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
I have a fascination with how all the clinics vary. So what are the rules of your plan?

Mine on option 1 (all shakes)
3-5 shakes per day (3 minimum)
3-5 qts of water (4 is considered ideal)
1-3 bouillon per day (1 minimum)
weekly doctor appt, vital check and class
monthly blood work and EKG
no vigorous exercise
5 sticks of gum per day
5 packs of artificial sweetener
5 diet sodas

Replies

• JoyD824
    JoyD824 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For me I am on the LCP with calorie count of 1200
    I have three shakes or two shakes and a bar (Or Soup - which i haven't tried yet)
    I have a meal with 3-4 oz protein (chicken or fish)
    64 oz water - need to do better
    Fruits 2-3 a day
    veggies - unlimited

I haven't started the exercise portion yet - they won't start us for two weeks after the food plan
    check in is weight - blood pressure - chat with dietitian
    I won't have blood work again until 12 weeks - and yes becuse of the thyroid I will get full thyroid check as well at that time.
  • KaileighMorgan
    Options
    I'm on what my plan calls VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet).
    I am allowed:
    3 Shakes or Soups per day
    2 chocolate fudge bars a day
    At least 64 oz of water but can drink as much water as you want
    Maximum of 10 additional carbohydrates per day that can be found only in sugar free drinks, gum and sugar free gelatin.
  • KaileighMorgan
    Options
    I am required to go a Clinic/Class weekly which they go over a new topic each week related to healthy eating, exercise, weight loss, etc.
    I meet with the doctor monthly.
    I get bloodwork, urine and EKG done monthly.
    Weigh in weekly at Clinic/Class.
    Meet with an exercise physiologist at least once and can pay additional for more 1:1 sessions.
    Meet with a registered dietician monthly.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    I'm on what my plan calls VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet).
    I am allowed:
    3 Shakes or Soups per day
    2 chocolate fudge bars a day
    At least 64 oz of water but can drink as much water as you want
    Maximum of 10 additional carbohydrates per day that can be found only in sugar free drinks, gum and sugar free gelatin.

I'm also on VLCD. While we're allowed 5 packets maximum no one actually eats them unless they are exercising a lot or not feeling well. I eat 3 packets per day which translates to 600 calories total. We don't get bars or any of the snack food items in weight loss.
  • KaileighMorgan
    Options
    I have a fascination with how all the clinics vary. So what are the rules of your plan?

Mine on option 1 (all shakes)
    3-5 shakes per day (3 minimum)
    3-5 qts of water (4 is considered ideal)
    1-3 bouillon per day (1 minimum)
    weekly doctor appt, vital check and class
    monthly blood work and EKG
    no vigorous exercise
    5 sticks of gum per day
    5 packs of artificial sweetener
    5 diet sodas

What is the bouillon each day for?
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options

What is the bouillon each day for?

The diet is really low in sodium and with the increased liquid intake it can make you feel kind of crappy, the bouillon helps keep your electrolytes in balance. We have to have at least 1 but when it's hot or I work out I have 2.
  • bhinton919
    bhinton919 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My Plan is the same as Kayleigh - In my 10 carbs, I have to count splenda, sugar free creamer, dill pickles, cucumber, sugar free jello, diet drinks, etc. On the days I do the bars instead of shakes - no extra carbs!!! 100 ounces of water minimum and after 2nd week exercise.
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Ladybug_Karen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    WOW! Everyone's clinic has different rules. Fascinating!

I'm on the VLCD. I have/had around 150 pounds to lose.

initial EKG, full blood work up and physical
    Four shakes/soups/puddings a day (because i'm tall at 5'10") = 800 calories. if i was shorter, i would only get 3 a day.
    only 10 extra carbs per day that i get from bullion, crystal light, sugar free gum, red pepper flake (sometimes in soup)
    64oz water a day or more.
    exercise after 3-4 weeks and only cardio. light strength training after 6-8 weeks
    bullion is only only necessary after work out or sweating a lot... 1-2 cubes, as needed
    weekly classes on various topics
    only get food one week at a time
    Dr appt every month
    supposed to get potassium level checked after 4 weeks but they didn't do mine
    EKG every 50 pounds lost
    body comp, i think, every month.. but i didn't get one at 4 weeks.
    i don't think my clinic has an exercise physiologist...

Modifications I've been doing from the above.
    One bullion a day
    at least 96oz of water (3qts) up to 128oz (4qts/1gallon)
    i was putting red pepper flake in my chicken soup but i like the broccoli cheddar soup better so i don't get the chicken soup any more. :)
    I salt my soups generously. :)

I usually start my day with the lemon pudding with Fiber, then soup for lunch, chocolate shake for afternoon snack and then soup for dinner.

I just started to regularly exercise this week. it was a couple times a week i would get out and walk. Now I'm focused on walking at least once a day for as long as work will allow. we have designated walk times at 1030 and 230p that's part of our fitness initiative. i try to walk at least one of those times and then walk at lunch. i have a sneaky indoor walk track all mapped out so if it gets too hot out, i can walk in air conditioned bliss. LOL
  • JoyD824
    Options
    So looking at this I am the only one on the LCD - I get 1200 calories a day?
    It is interesting to see the differences by each center - and from talking to most of the people that work where i go it sounds like more people are on the LCD rather than VLCD @ 800 calories. Interesting.

What about the center that you go to what other services are offered.
    Where i go it is a rehabilitation center as well as a heart health center it is next to one of the largest hospitals in Columbus.
    I drive 30 minutes to get there - they have a full gym with pool and health center focused more on Heart Health. Some of the classes offered are Yoga; Pilates; of course they have all the machines and they also have a pool with Water Zumba and Water aerobics.

Part of my plan too is that I get two months free to use the facilities and then for an additional monthly cost I can join - I am thinking I will take advantage of the two months free to get the workouts started and done and then opt to join the local YMCA which is 2 miles from work and 5 miles from home.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    My center only offers gastric bypass and the new directions diet. My doctor strictly focuses on weight loss. Most people are like me and get 600 cal per day if you're over 5'10 you get 800 cal per day. The highest number of calories you get at my center is 1000 and that's usually for tall people. My husband got 1000 cal (5 packets) per day. He just finished the program lost 85lbs since Jan 1st. He's 6'2 which is why he got 5 per day.

We do have two plan options all shakes (option 1) or shakes plus one meal (option 2). However even if you are on option 2 you still only get a 200 cal meal. We have like 5 protein choices and 10 vegetables and that's it for that meal if you go that route.

My clinic doesn't offer any weightloss medications or appetite suppressants like some other clinics. They say if we follow the program exactly as they prescribe it we will lose on average 3.5lbs per week for women and 5lbs per week for men.
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Options
    My clinic is run by a couple of gynecologist so they offer some hormonal services, gyn services and new directions. That's all. He has 2 clinics.
  • KaileighMorgan
    Options
    I go to a center that only focuses on weight loss surgery and new directions. Today is day three and I've been doing great- haven't cheated at all! My favorites are the Chocolate pudding, pineapple apricot and hot cocoa!

I tried to do the broccoli cheddar last night for dinner and it was horrible! I couldn't get all the chunks out! Do you have any tips on how to make it so it's smooth and no chunks of the powder. It was the first one that I had that I didn't really like at all.

Also, I've been feeling really tired and going to bed super early or napping. That isn't how I usually am. Do you think this is just my body getting used to the change or has anyone else experienced this in the beginning?

My facility doesn't use the bullion cubes so wondering if when the nurse calls me today for day 3 checkup I should inquire about it??
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    Kaleigh it's totally normally to feel under the weather, tired, etc as your body goes into ketosis especially if you ate a lot of carbs previously. Some people even feel sick, but that should pass in 3-5 days or as soon as you are in ketosis. Honestly bouillon would probably help too.

My clinics instructions are if you feel dizzy, faint, tired, etc take a bouillon wait 30 min. If you still feel bad eat a packet and wait 30 min. If you still feel bad call the on call doc asap. Bouillon is kind of a cornerstone of my program so I am surprised when I hear that other programs don't use it, just because my docs make it sound so critical to the program. We seriously get a lecture from the doc if we aren't having at least 1 per day. That said my program requires a lot more water than others from what I can tell so maybe that's part of the reason.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options

I tried to do the broccoli cheddar last night for dinner and it was horrible! I couldn't get all the chunks out! Do you have any tips on how to make it so it's smooth and no chunks of the powder. It was the first one that I had that I didn't really like at all.

I personally think the soups are nasty, I only use them to make biskits or chips. However my husband ate them daily. We add a lot of spices to ours. I like to add Mrs Dash Fiesta Lime and Smoked Paprika. My husband added tons of random spices. I never ate the broccoli cheddar but I would imagine you should just whip with a fork until smooth.
  • JoyD824
    Options
    WOW I am amazed at how our plans are so very different and where we go is just as different.

I can get the soups but haven't figured just as summer has hit I am not much of a soup person - but can see the benefits of this as well.
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Options
    i'm the opposite... i really like the soups! :)
  • ESueM67
    ESueM67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm coming in a little late to the party, but the variances are intriguing.

I started with a goal of losing around 100 pounds (I know the screen name says 110, but my center upped my ultimate weight goal).

- I am on a four "beverage" plan daily. "Beverage" means shake, soup or two chocolate fudge bars.
    - After being on the program for nearly a month, the RN told me I could stay on four beverages daily or change to three daily now (I chose to stay on four for now).
    - Initially, they conducted a blood test, EKG and behavioral assessment.
    - Every two weeks, they take more blood, and I meet with an RN.
    - After every 50 pounds lost, I am supposed to have an EKG.
    - We are required to report for a weigh-in at least once a month (accommodations for business travel or vacations), but weekly is encouraged and more the norm.
    - Meals are purchased on a weekly basis--you must purchase the minimum number of meals prescribed. You can purchase more, but you must always purchase at least the minimum.
  • GibsonGirl0112
    GibsonGirl0112 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I tried to read everyone's responses before posting mine, but i got antsy!

I've only got about 2.5 weeks left on my plan but it's gone something like this:

24 week program
    17 weeks is shakes only (new direction products) we were allowed sugar free gum if we needed to chew something
    at least 64 oz of water
    after 17 weeks we dropped one shake and introduced food.... 1 serving of fruit, 1-3 servings of veggies MINIMUM, and 1 to 3 servings of protein (1 serving = 1 oz for protein)
    I was bumped to 900 calories after 17 weeks, so i was allowed an extra 1-2 servings of protein.
    around week 21 we switched to 2 shakes and are introducing whole wheat carbs, more fruit, fats, and starches.

we have a weekly meeting to talk to dietitians/nutritionists, personal trainers, and mental behaviorists.
    Meeting with a nurse practitioner once a week, but that stopped about half way through as long as we weren't on medications or having any issues we could see her only once a month.
    Vitals and weight must be taken once a week or you don't get your food! eep! bloodwork is done monthly.

They also offer metabolic testing twice in the program, once in the beginning and once toward the end....i highly suggest doing it if anyone has the opportunity!!

I've lost 88 pounds thus far....i'm really trying to hit 100 before the program ends!!

Once the program is over, we get free maintence meetings for life, with an opportunity to buy the product if needed.

I really like my program, it has been interesting to read how other programs are working out as well!!
  • GibsonGirl0112
    GibsonGirl0112 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got super sick during the first week of the program. they didn't warn us that this could happen so i was pretty sure my body was trying to reject the product. Lasted about 3 days and i was fine. i do remember being extra tired in the beginning as well, but that got easier as time has gone by!
  • taivazian
    Options
    what you do is heat up the water in the microwave and then measure out the water, put it in the blender and blend!

it tastes pretty good, give it a shot!