What are the rules of your plan?

Options
2»

Replies

• taivazian
    Options
    I go to a center that only focuses on weight loss surgery and new directions. Today is day three and I've been doing great- haven't cheated at all! My favorites are the Chocolate pudding, pineapple apricot and hot cocoa!

I tried to do the broccoli cheddar last night for dinner and it was horrible! I couldn't get all the chunks out! Do you have any tips on how to make it so it's smooth and no chunks of the powder. It was the first one that I had that I didn't really like at all.

Also, I've been feeling really tired and going to bed super early or napping. That isn't how I usually am. Do you think this is just my body getting used to the change or has anyone else experienced this in the beginning?

My facility doesn't use the bullion cubes so wondering if when the nurse calls me today for day 3 checkup I should inquire about it??

heat up the water in the microwave and then pour it in the blender then add the powder and blend! should taste much better! also add your favorite spice, mine is black pepper
  • lorijo500
    lorijo500 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For my plan (VLCD) I can have 3 shakes/day, plus either 1 bar or 2 cups of vegetables. There's also a modified version that includes a protein & vegetable meal instead of the 3rd shake & bar/veggies, but I decided to start out with the lower amount, and go from there... I'm also required to attend weekly meetings until done with maintenance (which lasts 6 months) and can only miss 2 meetings within a 12 week period (rolling). Plus the usual monthly dr. visits & bloodwork; and I think there's generally a repeat EKG with every 50# lost. So it's pretty strict compared to other plans I've tried, but I think this is what I need right now....nothing else has been successful and I really need to lose this weight & change my life before medical conditions get worse..... I'm really glad to hear about everyone else's success! Very inspiring!
  • sn1ckerdoodle
    sn1ckerdoodle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm about 1 week in doing a modified VLCD diet in Columbus, OH...here are the rules I'm following:

Allowed 3 shakes/day (can use 1 extra if not feeling well but I haven't needed to yet)
    1 meal/day of 3-5 oz lean protein and 2 cups of (lower carb) veggies - my go to has been a chicken or tofu and veggie stirfry
    Can add <10g carbs with sugar free gum, drinks, etc.

We also have to attend a class/weigh-in once a week, get blood work and meet with the doctor every other week, and an initial meeting with a psychiatrist and exercise physiologist.

It's interesting that so many other clinics allow just 3 shakes/day if you're under 5'10" (I'm only 5'2"!) I may ask my doctor about it next time I go in.

So far, this has been a pretty easy to follow plan after the first 2 days of cravings. I thought having the meal for dinner would make it harder, but I actually find myself looking forward to cooking and eating dinner. I am starting to get nervous with the Holidays coming around, the treats are already starting to pop up at work everywhere!
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Ladybug_Karen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bumping to top.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 2. The only rules I have on VLCD so far are:
    1. 3 shakes + 1 bar + 2 cups non starchy veg OR 4 shakes + 2 cups non starchy veg (I THINK this is how it works. I need to verify with my dietitian.)
    2. AT LEAST 64oz water
    3. Class/Weighin once a week
    4. Doctor visit with labs once a month
  • yellowdaisy3321
    yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Haha I just realized months later that I said my clinic only required 3-5 qts of water per day. I would have died with only 3-5qts of water. Should have been 3-5 liters, with 4 liters per day being ideal.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Haha I just realized months later that I said my clinic only required 3-5 qts of water per day. I would have died with only 3-5qts of water. Should have been 3-5 liters, with 4 liters per day being ideal.

Wow! I thought I was doing good with 96oz (2.8 liters) Time to up my water game!

• taivazian
    Options
    3-4 shakes per day 4oz chicken 2x a day, plus veggies if i can stand them! :smiley:
    64oz water
    weigh-in once a week body comp checked with weigh-in
    Dr appt every month
    blood tests every 90 days to check hormone levels
  • yellowdaisy3321
    yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    dan_IRL wrote: »

Wow! I thought I was doing good with 96oz (2.8 liters) Time to up my water game!

My clinic is very strict about water intake. On maintenance we're required to have at least 2 liters per day, but they prefer 3 liters.
  • taivazian
    Options
    why is water so essential? besides the obvious
  • erock0628
    erock0628 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have to do 5 shakes a day because I'm over 300 once I get under I go to 4 shakes. It's interesting some people are only doing 3. And bolloun is essential in my program. We get lectured if we don't have two per day. Honestly the bolloun a have seriously saved me the most when I was really craving.
  • kallemia
    kallemia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just starting my plan. Not many surprises... Here's what my clinic requires:
    1. food/nutrition: equivalent of 5 shakes per day (tall man, BMI over 40) - I started with 3 shakes (2 with fiber), 1 soup, 2 bars for snacks.
    2. water: AT LEAST 64 oz per day, with AT LEAST 8 oz extra per every caffeinated beverage
    3. free items: sugar free gum/mints, sugar free jello, coffee, tea, diet soda, Crystal Light, non-calorie sweetener, flavor extracts, "butter spray" (Pam)
    4. real world emergency meal replacement when you have no product: 6-8 oz lean protein, no sauce, etc, 2 cups of non-starchy vegetables
    5. initial workup: EKG, bloodwork, weigh/measure, body composition analysis, meet with physician, dietitian- start with a cohort (there are 5 others in my group all doing New Directions VLCD
    6. support: first month - weekly group meetings (behavioral, nutritional), weekly weight/BP checks; after that at least 2 support group meetings per month.
    7. not recommended: vigorous exercise (initially); tinkering with the plans, substituting non ND food based on carbs/calories

I asked if it was okay to have hot water with lemon slice - and was told yes. Also was told it would be okay to have a handful of greens daily - my functional medicine psychiatrist requested this. They said that was okay as well.

I just gave my boyfriend a bunch of food I cannot/should not eat - from my cupboard. Felt good to clear out room for the ND products.

Cheers,
    Karl