Needing to Lose Over 100 Lbs, When to Weight Train

Options
First of all, I'm doing the LCHF/Ketogenic diet.. I am needing some advice on weight training. I used to work out with heavy weights, years and years ago. I have over 100 lbs to lose, at this time. I know there is no way to "spot train," but my legs are large (yes, because of the fat), but are even large, when I was quite a bit smaller.

I was wondering if I should just focus primarily on low intensity cardio , until I lose quite a bit more weight, or should I add deadlifts, squats, lunges, etc to my routine. I have read so many differing articles on whether I should lift heavy with lower reps, or lighter, with higher reps. I'm basically wanting to tone, and not add any bulk, while I burn this fat off these big legs/hips. I don't want to look like a deflated elephant, and want muscle to take place of the fat. I'm NOT afraid of lifting heavy, if it gets me a lean, toned body.

I hope this makes sense, and thanks, in advance, for any advice given.

Replies

• angelinalblyth
    angelinalblyth Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would begin weight training straight away I much prefer weight training and have seen a bigger success since starting. Even a friend at work has begun weight training after stalling on just pure cardio and he has lost more weight in less time. Start with something simple as Stronglifts 5x5 - that's what myself and my colleague do.
  • monica10171
    monica10171 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also would say weight train right away also and walk everyday for your cardio for now.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Youre not going to be adding any bulk while eating at a deficit. What you'll be doing is strengthening your muscles while losing the fat that's around them. Adding the weight training right now would be very beneficial to you. I'd also recommend Stronglifts 5x5 as a starting plan.
  • pyramid918
    pyramid918 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Adding muscle will only burn stored fat faster. And it will help with the loose skin you'll develop when the weight comes off. Just be prepared for the initial weakness when your body is fat adapting. My lifts and overall endurance went way down and took a long time to come back up. But stick with it, exercise is wonderful!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    You have over 100 lbs to lose, start with walking for few weeks, eat clean and fix your metabolism before doing weight training. Weight training irrespective of the diet has shown to improve the body composition but its even more effective when you combine it with ketogenic diet. This is a marathon, start walking and let the joints loosen up before you hit the weights.