Bruising?

Options
strawmama
strawmama Posts: 623 Member
Anyone bruise easier since being in ketosis? I'm fairly certain it's not an iron deficiency, so not sure if I'm just clumsier or if I'm lacking something else that is causing the bruising. I have about 5 new-ish bruises on my thighs and two on my calves. Seems like every time I just bump my body against something, I get a nasty bruise.

Replies

• crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I've read that a gluten intolerance paired with a high intake of omega-3s can cause bruising. However, if you're eating keto, the gluten shouldn't be much of an issue. How is your omega-3 and 6 balance?

It can also be attributed to a lack of vitamin K or C, so a supplement would take care of that.

It could just be because you're losing weight, though. Fat has a ton of blood vessels and capillaries running through it. When you lose the fat from your cells, that network isn't as protected and you bruise much more easily. I'd assume that given some time, your body will adjust to the fat loss and the capillaries will become more protected.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Based on what I've read and my diet, I am going to assume that my Omega-3 and Omega-6s are fine, and yes, I do have a gluten intolerance (no allergy). As far as I'm aware, my recent gluten levels should be low, as I really try to avoid gluten, even on cheat days (weeks).

I thought my Vitamin C was in check, but looking back over my diary, it seems to lack a lot on certain days.

I honestly was just thinking that maybe I was even more clumsier than before, as I have bruises that I didn't even know I had. The new one that brought this question up was me walking into our address marker yesterday while mowing...that was pure clumsiness and it bruised really bad and is swollen and sore today.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Anyone bruise easier since being in ketosis?

^Raising hand^ YES! I would like to know the exact reason behind it, but I'll tell you there are some days after gardening or doing extreme housework where I shock myself seeing all the new bruises that have popped up. There was one day when my entire upper arm looked like I'd been grabbed by a gorilla and I could not for the life of me figure out what I'd done. Then I remembered I'd tried to reach in a partially unrolled window to unlock a car door when my friend locked her keys in...a bit of a tight squeeze, but it didn't hurt at the time. The next day, I had to forgo short sleeves for fear co-workers would assume I'd been a domestic violence victim.

Eager to hear more theories or some studies on the topic, as I don't feel particularly lacking in any nutrients myself. Maybe something to do with ketones in the bloodstream?
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with easy bruising. Did some research and started supplementing vitamin K-2 (100mg twice/day). It's been over a month now since starting with the K-2 and now I believe that my bruising problem is behind me. We just don't get enough K-2 in our modern diet. Note also that vitamins K and D are fat soluble vitamins, so if anything, Keto dieting should help to ensure you have enough fats in your diet to actually use these vitamins.