Ways to Rev up a sluggish Metabolism

Options
:flowerforyou: Hi! I am new to MFP and loving it so far! It's a reality check for me in terms of realizing just how many calories I have been consuming. I would like to pick everyone's brain on surefire ways to rev up my metabolism. I am 55, female and have noticed that it is so much more of a struggle to keep weight off in the past few years, though I am fairly active. Thank you for any light you can shed on this !

Replies

• Lorilea123
    Lorilea123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 as well, and after successfully losing 30 pounds two years ago I find it's starting to creep back. I'm more active now (strength training, waterskiing), but even though I'm good about watching my calorie intake I can't seem to lose any of the 8 pounds I've gained back. I'd love some ideas on how to jump start my metabolism!
  • OldChief10
    OldChief10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I struggle like everyone else, but when the scale recently got stuck and refused to move downward I added heavy lifting and HIIT to what had been a light lifting/steady-state cardio exercise routine. I guess the "science" is that heavy lifting burns calories for a longer period of time (increased metabolism). Worked for me as the scale is moving south again. Good luck all.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 56 and joined in Sept 2013. And at only 5'2", the extra 25-27 lbs pounds I gained since menopause looked so heavy on me. I lost 20 lbs so far and trying to lose the last 4-5 lbs. I've been stuck at my current since Apr. I'd lose a pound then gain it back a day or two later. I too need ideas to jump start my metabolism. Tried zig-zag eating. It worked in the past, but lately not too much success. I am also walking more courtesy of a fitbit flex I got on Mother's Day and keeping active more. Maybe I need to add activities or go back to the gym since I haven't been for years.
  • redzz16
    redzz16 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there.....I'm Jo, and I feel as if I've lost the same 50 pounds about 20 times now. I want to be rid of it once and for all, and feel better again. :)
  • tjj6359
    tjj6359 Posts: 2
    Options
    how did you lose first 25 lbs. I am also 55, five foot three and have an extra 30 lbs since menopause which actuallly has only been a year and a half. Carrying all my weight in upper and lower abdomen. I am miserable. i've tied to go back to weight watchers which was always successful for me and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions would be helpful. I started today to just count calories and have been reading that weight lifting at our age is more important than cardio.
  • BowerPowerCoach
    BowerPowerCoach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm 50, 5'9" and 153 lbs. I started using MFP about 40 days ago. It was an eye-opener! I've been able to visualize the effect of exercise (and snacks) on my caloric needs. I love it! Two months ago, my sister (49) dropped 13 lbs in 30 days so I asked how she did it. I enrolled in the same nutritional superfood and cleansing system and lost 9.2 lbs and 23.5 inches in 30 days. You need to eat something every 2-3 hours during the day to keep the metabolism active. I love the results so I'm going to carry on with it. I am looking forward to learning tips and tricks from everyone in the group! We can learn so much from one another.
  • redzz16
    redzz16 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm hardly an expert (having to do this yet again) but what works best for me is eating food in it's most natural state. meaning, eat the orange, not OJ for example. I STRONGLY limit my pasta, bread, etc. carbs and only eat potatoes and whole grain rice. Staying away from all white flour stuff is hard, but it really works. I love pasta and still have it, but only once a month. I also do better when I stay away from the so called "Healthy pre made" foods. Too much added stuff....even the granola bars....it's better and more filling to pack veggies and fruit....you body knows what to do with those because it was designed for it. You don't need to kill yourself with exercise or lifting, just go for a walk and eat natural food and the weight comes off fast. You can add some weight training for muscle tone, but some people really hate the whole "I have to go to the gym" thing. I lost 50 pounds just walking. :)
  • tjj6359
    tjj6359 Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks will try that:smile:
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and I have also noticed a difference since turning 50. It is a bit harder to lose weight but the big difference is where the weight is distributed. I miss my waist! I think the biggest positive difference for me is that I have increased the size of weights I am lifting. In addition to helping with metabolism it has helped me tackle the old lady "batwings" that I was developing. I was definitely feeling depressed when I thought I wouldn't be able to wear a sleeveless dress again. Now I can draw the eye away from my thick waist to my shapely arms! (just kidding, still working on the waist!)
  • happynunn
    happynunn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jan ,52 5'4 . My starting weight was 211lb(pre mfp) ,im now 195lb. My goal is to hit 170lb and then see how I feel .I have mobility problems since I had a fall on my back,this led to me being retired from my job,in which I was used to walking 5-7 miles a day. On top of that I went to the gym 3 x 60 min a day and was a physically fit 49 year old. The last 3 years have seen me almost at a standstill lol. So Im here ,slowly adding as much exercise as I can,BUT I am always active around the home,maybe time to incorporate workouts into my daily chores :).Although my walking /bending /stair climbing etc is greatly impaired,I can cycle ..so feel this is where I should concentrate my efforts.
    Nice to meet you all ,good luck to all :):flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • gaileee1
    gaileee1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm 54. 5' 10", Lost about 13 lbs now, and am at the 165 mark. I teach yoga, and seated chair fitness, and just had found my eating a bit out of control. Wanting to get to 155 before I'm 55!

Been doing a 1200 eating plan with adding some exercise calories, and found that I don't have to do Zumba to get my cardio in, it has been pretty easy with walking a couple of times a day. But still needing ways to rev it up!

Gaileee
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 61. I weighed around 280lb at my heaviest. I started dieting seriously when I turned 56 (because I was then officially on my way to 60 and was scared as hell). I'm now around 220 but I only lost in minuscule amounts (like 200g a week). I bought an exercise bike about six years ago and decided to use it just three weeks ago (I procrastinate a lot). At first I could only cope with 3 minutes!! Now I can do 40. I ride it every day and since then I've been losing 2lb a week. I tried walking to shift the weight but it didn't make much difference.
  • mcshylie
    mcshylie Posts: 7
    Options
    I have heard alot about adding a bit of weight-lifting to keep the metabolism charged. I also think your body gets used to a certain set of exercise and needs to be challenged frequently. I'm totally inspired with MFP and the tracking system. Active as I am, I was always compensating what I burned off by upping my calorie intake. Even small changes make a difference. Plus it's summer now and I'm a mowing and gardening fool! But I think I will venture into the gym and use the weights. I haven't been in there in about 8 months. It's time.