Article on short bouts of exercise on blood sugar

Options
raleighgoodwins
raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
My mother-in-law sent this to me - it's very interesting and shows that short bouts of high intensity exercise before meals can pack a big punch in terms of controlling blood sugar.

this is the summary of the actual study:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/exercise-snacks-to-control-blood-sugar/?_php=true&_type=blogs&src=me&_r=0

this is the link to the actual study:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-014-3244-6#page-1

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I'm a huge fan of exercise for controlling blood sugar (along with diet of course). I think everyone should exercise to improve their fitness.

For my needs the short bouts of exercise practice outlined isn't sustainable. I could never use the term "exercise snack". I'm either exercising or having a snack. "Exercise snack" is an odd concept. Researchers are locked up in a room for long periods of time, these terms somehow make sense to them. They should get out more often.

I prefer to get up and knock out my exercise to start the day. I can't imagine trying to schedule an exercise session before every meal every day.

Wife: "Honey it's time for dinner"
    Husband: "Give me 15 minutes, I have to get in my exercise snack before we eat"

Seriously?
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I thought the term "exercise snack" was a bit odd also, not the term that I would have chosen.

I thought it was interesting that the short spurts of exercise several times a day was more effective than exercising for one longer period in a day. However, when I read the full article I did have some concerns with the methodology - the longer exercise period was only before dinner and was said to be at a moderate level of intensity, but the shorter spurts were before breakfast, lunch and dinner and were described as higher in intensity. I was wondering whether the difference would be so significant if the longer exercise period also had a portion of it that was at the same level of intensity as the shorter spurts, and if it would make a difference what time of day that exercise was done. Also, the sample size was really small - only 9 participants in the study.

I think that the results are intriguing and could be helpful to people that squeeze in a little bit of exercise here and there - at least they show that those bouts of exercise can have a positive effect of blood sugar if done at the right level of intensity.

Made me want to take the stairs more at work and continuing walking to/from public transportation in the morning and evening! :smile:
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Actually, the terms the researches used and the reported results both make a lot of sense.

The term is a comparison, likening the length of a shorter exercise session to a "snack" where the longer session is inferred to be the "meal." If I were to find fault with the terminology, it wouldn't be with how good the analogy is. It would be because the researchers thought those of us with dietary challenges needed a food analogy in order to relate to their exercise findings. It's unintentionally insulting.

The actual result is unsurprising. That's just nature's tendency to minimize entropy and prefer a more "reversible" (effort in the right amount spread out over a longer period of time) process. It is nature's efficiency.

Whether or not the theoretical findings fit into someone's schedule is irrelevant to their validity. This is just a report of the way nature works. That's not something we can really negotiate away. It is, however, up to each of us to adapt the theory to our everyday practicalities.

The general understanding we should take is this: the more you spread your workouts throughout the day, the better. I know people with time-intensive jobs and/or other commitments who find they prefer two shorter workout sessions over one longer one anyway. I can emulate the same thing knowing it may benefit my sugar control. I can do my calisthenics in the morning and walking in the evening. If someone else has the flexibility of breaking his or her workouts into three sessions, each time before he or she eats, great!
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this article and how you fit exercise into your day. Often people tell me they don't exercise because they don't have 30-60 minutes at one time for exercise. This research shows them that even shorter bouts of exercise can be helpful. One wise person I know always says that 'some exercise is better than no exercise.' ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • BigGuy47
    Options
    Whether or not the theoretical findings fit into someone's schedule is irrelevant to their validity.
    I did not question the validity of the study or the results.
    It is, however, up to each of us to adapt the theory to our everyday practicalities.,,,
    ....If someone else has the flexibility of breaking his or her workouts into three sessions, each time before he or she eats, great!
    It doesn't seem like a practical approach for the majority of the population. Let's face it, most people aren't willing to exercise even once a day. Now we're going to ask them to exercise before every meal?
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article!

Although this doesn't really jive with my lifestyle, it is still good information. I think the kids at my elementary school would think I was a bit nuts if I hopped up and starting doing some lunges!!! :laugh:
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47, it was not my intention to start a point-by-point argument. I'm trying to contribute, in a supportive way, a point I think is important.

I still believe that if someone takes the information in this article, adds a dash of good ol' horse sense to work it into his or her schedule, it is useful and not at all impractical. If someone cannot do as exactly as prescribed in the study, they could take the general points "spreading workouts out is better" and "try to workout close to meals" and design a schedule that is acceptable to them and still incorporates a portion of the suggestions (and hopefully a portion of the results).

For instance, I won't be doing three workouts a day. But, I'm going to try and roughly split my current once/day workout into a morning and evening schedule and see if that has a positive impact on my BG levels.
  • BigGuy47
    Options
    I don't have an interest in debating this either.

I think the most important takeaway is that regular exercise is important for T2 diabetics. Even once a day is beneficial compared to not exercising at all. Walking, biking, swimming, etc. - whatever gets you moving. Pick an activity that you can do on a regular basis.