Week 3

Options
sayray16
sayray16 Posts: 62 Member
This week was very difficult for me. I ran more this week than I had ever before which was great; however, I ended up injuring my knee. I also took two rest days this week. The pain in my knee is still there going into week 4 and so recently I have had to switch up my routines. I think it is best that everyone who is starting this challenge know that if you do not switch your routines up, or at least start slowly with this if you are not use to it, than you are risking injury. Be sure to do everything the smart way and read up on this so you know where you are at and where to start. It looks like everyone else who is following this challenge seems to be enjoying their progress so good for all of you!! Keep it up! Also, I was frustrated with week 3 because it seemed like no matter how hard I worked, I couldn't get more weight off. I lingered at the same weight for that whole week. I noticed weight loss after I changed my routine, but I will talk about that when week 4 is through. So back to week 3; I decided to pay less attention to what the scale says and more attention to what my measurements say. So I'll post again to explain how my week 4 went when it ends this Sunday.

Replies

• codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Got my 5k in today plus a Zumba class

Night all
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about your knee pain.

An observation which I have noted elsewhere:

When I finally got serious about improving my health (after a couple of years of fits and starts), I was pretty capable of walking 12-14,000 steps per day (got a pedometer to measure that) or the equivalent of about 6-7 miles per day. Running, no way.

But taking that up to nearly 17,000 steps day (to reach 1,000,000 steps in 60 days as part of an organized challenge) had me pay a physical/injury cost in my right knee. I backed off some, let it heal somewhat, but did not stop. I probably should have. But it slowly felt better and, if I was careful about it, I was able to up the step count to my personal goal of 20,000 steps per day (~10 miles). In 2012, I bumped up my daily average step count to 22,000 steps/day (~11 miles, which was just a bout the limit I could sustain on a daily basis and have a job. I walked more on the weekends, but I tried to maintain the average on a daily basis so I was never too far behind the number of steps needed for that average over the calendar year). The key was I was walking the distance, sometimes without a pack, most often with that improved my cardio.

With that said, I am now running (and walking). And what I've read matches with my own experience.

Running 5K per day, even 6 days per week (plus you day-to-day activities) is putting more than 18 miles of running stress per week into your system.

Your cardiovascular system will respond very quickly to that change, improving circulation in and around your heart and lungs in a matter of few weeks. Your cardiovascualr system tells you "let's go!!!!."

Unfortunately, the process of training the muscles to deal with that is longer...much longer than your mind or your cardio system want to wait. You've got to give them months to build up and adapt. That's true for whether you go from Couch25K or you want to try for longer distances.

Your skeletal system takes longer. Much longer. Those joints with all the ligaments and tendons, cartilage takes many months (think at least 10-20) to adapt to the change.

The explanation? It's all a matter of blood flow to support the changes, repair the micro-damage from the stress to the system.

Sometimes our bodies really aren't ready to take us where our hearts want to go. With time, they can be.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping up. I posted om my blog my week from polar flow (the cool app that came with my heart rate monitor).
    I cant really do a straight jog or run for 3 miles all at once so I jog a mile, and walk for a while and continue on. Since this is an objective I have for myself, not necessarily the 5k a day but the weight loss overall given my circumstances I have a strong adherence to goals I set for myself in the fitness realm.

I am a little out there in the head when I say this but it has been a great mantra so far, "the brain is responsible for completing what the body feels it cannot"

Now given all that you need to take care of the body and the joints to be able to do what you feel you need to do physically. I have become great friends with the foam roller at the gym and now feel like its the best stretch ever. Stretch stretch stretch. As your muscles get stronger and larger and more capable they need to be stretched more. And hydration is very important too, if you are doing high levels of activity especially in heat you need much more water than the 6-8 glasses a day. I remember years ago in training we had to drink at least 6 canteens (we had many bathroom breaks) and 2 glasses of water at meals (3 squares) so that probably totaled at least a gallon a day. I try to drink at least 10 glasses now.

I got 10 pounds of jacked up thyroid weight down and 20 to go LETS DO THIS!

I hope I'm helpful. good luck to everyone :)