low bar vs high bar

Options
jlclabo
jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
needing some input/info/advise/etc.... i have always squated high bar/med-wide stance. i get plenty deep, and move what i feel is a respectable weight(475 currently) without wraps or belt. i have been watching a lot of Brandon Lily, Jonnie Candito, and Brandon Campbell lately and i respect and value the information they put out. generally very good, sound info. According to all 3 of them, and a lot of powerlifters i talk to, low bar is the way to go if i want to move big weight. i am going to start adding some to my squat days to get a feel for it and since i have til November til my next meet, i figured ill have plenty of time to see if it works for me. who all here uses low over high and did you gain lbs when you made the switch?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This is the best write up I've read on it.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from low bar to high bar because I couldn't find drive without bringing my hips up first. The way I see high bar is just better mechanics, your hips are under the bar so you can drive more up in a straight line using your legs, with low bar you are already creating extra movement when you push your bum back.

A guy at my gym is teaching me the way of the highbar, I trust him he's 45, 90kg and squatted 317kg the other week
  • geek23ka
    geek23ka Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started out with the book Starting Strength, so I learned low bar. My squat has always been pretty terrible, and often squat morning out of the hole. So, for two years I have been trying to fix that, and when I started working with my powerlifting coach, he had me try high bar and it works better for me.

Use the technique that give you the best form. IMHO.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I switched from high bar to low bar. I find I feel far more stable with low bar, and my form is better.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    this is good.... my high bar form is good, no issues with it, just want to broaden my work and possibly add more to my arsenal. gonna work on the low bar form and see how it goes, that is if my shoulder will allow me to get in low bar position. i will still be doing all my heavy stuff high bar for the time being til i see how low bar feels. my elitefts heavy knee and wrist wraps should both be in today, so i may be trying some heavy high bar in a week or two. trying to wait til closer to the end of this cycle. 500 would be so very nice!!!!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Unless you are very quad dominant, most people will move more weight low bar when technique is there.

I always squat low bar unless I want more quad work or doing pause stuff.

Max low bar is 210kg and high bar is 190kg. Low bar will give you some crazy glute doms when you start it :laugh:
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Due to the action of the two main levers you are utilizing in a squat (one lever being at the knee, the other lever being at the hips), to lift the maximum weight you can, the optimal is to utilize more of the load on the bigger lever. Since the lower bar squat shifts that focus toward the bigger lever (not entirely mind you), you are able to move more weight. Think of it like you have two wrenches with one being short and one being long...which one do you think will give you more leverage? The longer one (hips).
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I've actually done low bar but was considering high bar in an attempt to straighten my back angle a bit. But it feels odd to have the bar that far up on my shoulders.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the heavy category yet, but I did make the switch from high bar to low bar a while ago and immediately picked up a significant increase in 1RM. That being said, I use my Rogue Safety Squat Bar to do a cycle of more erect squatting every once in a while. The SSB is a nice change up from low bar and even high bar. And it's great for good mornings.