Ligament laxity

Options
I'm curious if there is anyone else here with this problem. I just had a dr appt today for a consult. Since I've primarily done yoga & never been a runner, I have no idea if there are issues I need to be aware of starting up consistent running program. Because I have this condition, I need to ensure that I have proper form & supplemental strength exercises so I did walk out with 3 referrals. I know this isn't a place for medical advice, I'm just curious if there are others on here who run with this condition & maybe any tips you could give a newbie.

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have twisted my ankles a few times and need to pay careful attention to how I step, but it isn't as big of an issue as someone I know has with her ankles. It's great that you have consulted professionals rather than just start on your own, but from what I know I agree regarding strength training. Ligaments are what they are, unless you change them surgically somehow, so the muscles around a joint are what you can work on to strengthen, in order to create a more stable structure. Strength training can also go wrong, so there, too, I'd seek the advice from a professional, either via physio or a personal trainer at a gym. Other than this I don't have much to offer, but once again welcome to the group!