Sleeping

GraceByMySide
GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
Hey Everybody!! I was reading someone's post about sleeping... I have my VGS next week. I am a side and stomach sleeper. I've never been comfortable on my back. What are your experiences with sleeping position after surgery? What hurts, what doesn't, post-op??? Lord knows, I love my sleep!!! Tee-hee! :yawn:

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Before surgery I was worried about the same thing. I am definitely a side and stomach sleeper too, and I also toss and turn a lot. I was able to sleep on my side after a few days, but I still had to be careful not to turn too quickly. I held a pillow while I slept and that helped me not roll around too much. At times I slept sitting up in my comfy chair and ottoman. I used one of those travel pillows to support my head and neck and it was pretty comfortable. You might have read others post about fatigue after surgery. You will be tired and you will likely have no problem sleeping!

BTW congrats on your upcoming surgery, and I wish you a speedy recovery!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    I had the RNY, and for a few days post surgery, when standing up straight I felt some pulling in my abdomen. I'm assuming this is normal. For the first 5 or 6 nights while at home I slept sitting up on a couch. I didn't sleep very well, as I'm a side sleeper, however I was at home recovering and not really worried about it. Once in bed, and laying down on my side, I didn't have a problem, provided I didn't move too quickly. Once I got in my position, I was okay. If I needed to move or roll over, I just had to take it slow at first.

I'm not a stomach sleeper, however I would probably not try it for the first week or so. More than likely it will be uncomfortable due to the "pulling" or "stretching" feeling you'll get when you stand up straight. Walking does help this to go away faster, so do as much walking as you feel comfortable with, even if it's only a block or two at a time! When at home on my own, I would go out walking 4 or 5 times during the day, really just for something to do. I got so dang bored while at home!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Early on, until the wounds heal, you are going to want to sleep on your back with a slight elevation. After that you will be able to sleep anyway your are comfortable. Side note: with the weight loss comes the touching on the knees and ankles when you lay on your side. Feels weird.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    I'm a side and stomach sleeper too. Honestly I don't remember it being an issue when I went home but my program sends us home with an abdominal binder, kind of like a big wrap around girdle. I had it after surgery and wore it for a week when I got home. Hence no pulling issues or need to use a pillow when sneezing or coughing lol
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I too am a side sleeper. My incisions were mainly to the center and right side, so I slept on the left side with no problems. Yes turning over in bed was a little uncomfortable, but nothing bad. The feeling I got when standing up and repositioning myself in bed reminded me very much of what I felt like right after giving birth. Like there was a large empty area inside me. Not painful at all, just empty. :laugh:

DJ mentions that s the weight comes off the knees and ankles start to touch when you sleep on your side. If you don't have a body pillow I suggest getting one. After I lost about 150 pounds I had issues with my hips being slightly out of alignment. About the third time he popped me back into alignment, my chiropractor mentioned that because I sleep on my side, with less to hold my thighs apart, my knees are now lower than my hips and the angle of my leg was pulling my hips out. He told me to try a body pillow to place between my knees and it worked! Anyway the body pillow might also help your comfort after surgery. Just a thought.
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    I had RNY and I was only able to sleep in a recliner. I'm a side/stomach sleeper and I couldn't manage any of it as it hurt too much. So I just slept tilted back in a recliner for a little over week till I felt better :)
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Thanks for all the replies!! I use a pillow already, but maybe a splurge on a body pillow this weekend might be a good idea!!!

:happy:
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    I had RNY and I had a drain on my right side for the first week I was home. I'm a side sleeper. The first day I was pretty knocked out and slept sitting in a recliner. Then I slept in the bed the rest of the time. I slept on my left side (opposite my drain), and put a smaller pillow behind my lower back to support it. I didn't have any issues, except getting out of bed those first few days. Our frame is low and pushing myself up and out required some assistance. Once the drain came out, I could sleep on that side as well, but used a pillow to support my belly. A body pillow would have been great! :)