Deadlift reps

Options
Rumik
Rumik Posts: 86 Member
Hi all,

Just wanted some opinions. I do my lifting in the upstairs spare room, and it's got to the point with dead lifts where the weight is too much for the floor, and I'm causing damage the the ceiling below. Instead of increasing weight, could I just increase reps? How much should I increase by in order to get he same results as if I were lifting heavier?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    For a temporary solution this will help, but you need to find a better location to continue with this exercise. You can add 1 rep every workout you complete the required reps from previous. So if you completed the 5 reps this past workout, then add a rep next scheduled workout for a total of 6, then you could keep this up to maybe around when you can complete 8-10 reps, but then you really should have another solution worked out so you can add weight, because while volume will drive strength (which is what you are doing by adding reps), the more optimal for strength increase is to add weight which causes even greater adaptation strength-wise. I think there is a program called All Pros that does this protocol of adding reps (thus volume) to a given exercise till a threshold is reached, then weight is added and you start back at lower rep range and work back up, rinse and repeat. This program though does not have a higher strength focus like StrongLifts in my opinion and while of course you will get stronger (it will be slower), there is a body-building aspect to it due to the higher volume which takes away the focus on optimally building strength; especially in a beginner.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Maybe not convenient but could you lay out some plywood or something to help distribute the load on the floor better? What about rack pulls? Maybe not as good as deads from the floor, but something at least.

For what its worth, I did Allpro's for a 5 week run. Something different. Enjoyed it even, but found going to the next cycle and the jump in weights really didnt work out well for me. Switched back to SL's. It just seemed more manageable to me. Personal preference of course.

Good Luck
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You'll get better results in the long term if you stick to the program, which means you need to find a way to add weight to the bar. Do you really need that ceiling? ;-)
  • corsairpro
    corsairpro Posts: 13
    Options
    Be the guy who buys horse mats and deadlifts in the garage / driveway / street. Nod at the untrained as they stare :)