Lantus

Options
Lizzym911
Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
I am wondering if anyone has ever tried splitting your lantus into two doses for better control?

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Each persons basal insulin requirements are unique. Typically, basal insulin needs are highest during the night and early morning, and the lowest in the middle of the day. Many people find by splitting their doses offer proven beneficial results towards better glucose control by consistently dosing at the same time in the morning, and again at bedtime.

Only by trial and error through testing will you learn if this adjustment is going to work for you or not. This may take a few days as your body adjusts to this change. Check it out and let us know how this change you've made worked for you.

I'm using 8u of Lantus at bedtime and don't find the need to split my dose. Some people needing higher doses find by splitting their doses to be very beneficial.
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    This is a really good question to discuss with your physician. Lantus is designed to last 24 hours, but some people find that taking it twice each day can be helpful. Your doctor can give you the best recommendation on how to manage your blood sugar levels more effectively overall. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying , I'm using 34 at night but a couple friends told me they got better control splitting theirs. I find I have pretty good control now in the mornings but it get higher in the evenings so my friends said maybe my splitting it might do a better job.
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    It's always good to learn about other ways of managing diabetes. I think from a previous post BettyBoop you said that you have a good relationship with your endocrinologist and value his opinion. Perhaps you can talk with him about the options to lower evening blood sugar levels? Exercise in the afternoon or taking a walk after dinner might also help reach your goal. ~Lynn @Glucerna
  • sdouglas0728
    sdouglas0728 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was splitting mine, but my endo said it was fine to take it all at once. I normally do at 11pm, have a 15 carb snack, and go to bed. I like taking it all at once because it burns and I really hate it.
  • pmcbrady
    pmcbrady Posts: 31
    Options
    Regarding burning...are you using it cold? My dr. said to keep the ones I am not using refrigerated, but not the pen I am using. I find the only time it burns is when I didn't realize I was out and had to use a cold pen.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was on as much as 25 units of Lantus per day, and took it all at once. Once I was under control in the morning my sugars throughout the day remained in control. Perhaps you can help your evening sugars by exercising later in the day or eating fewer carbs in the evening. I try to make breakfast my lowest carb meal of the day as that is when my sugar tend to respond more. Perhaps for you it is in the evening and fewer carbs would help.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was told that Lantus only lasts 10 hours so there is a two hour gap not covered. What does this mean for bloodsugar in the other two hours___
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    sarahtrust wrote: »
    I was told that Lantus only lasts 10 hours so there is a two hour gap not covered. What does this mean for bloodsugar in the other two hours___

Lantus lasts closer to 24 hours though it varies a little bit around that number with each individual.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ten hours assumes splitting the dose, two in 24 hours (each lasts about ten hours.