New and mad, but feeling better

Options
chunt87
chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
Not mad at anyone in particular but that annoying gland in my body that seems to hate me. I got diagnosed in the fall and quickly gained 30 pounds from I would say august through February when I finally stopped gaining.

Over the course of that weight gain I was an emotional roller coaster. I also saw a nutritionist over that time to get dialed in on what I should/should not eat. Proteins, carbohydrates, fats etc. I followed this due diligence and lost no weight, because my hormones were jacked up. I am in the service and so extra weight is a problem, a potentially career ending problem. So this weight must come off. 10 pounds of it has with 5 being within the last month following my nutritionists guidelines with diligence and a lot of extra oomph on my part. This is what I have been doing and I offer this to others YMMV

I don't believe anybody trying to sell anything, if people know there's a group of folks that have a permanent issue like this they will try to capitalize on it.
The first doctor before they knew I had a thyroid disorder though I had wheat issues, after emptying my wallet and discovering wheat was not the issue I was ticked off.
Soy, I have always stayed away from it at all costs on my own because of its speculates not yet solidly proven connection with hormones.

Protein. I was told to get in about 100 grams a day
Fiber. I was told to eat like 20 grams a day
Carbohydrates: I was told to have 4-5 carbohydrate choices a day e.g. bread counts as one, kind of like something they called sugarbusters, or a diabetic plan
Sugars, I was told to avoid them as much as possible and if I have fruits to have things like berries that are lower in the stuff. The sugar guidelines on this website are excellent
Fats: Stay away from them when you can but also avoid frankenfood. If it has more than 5 ingredients unless I know what they are I don't buy it.

And try to eat 3-5 meals/snacks a day

Now exercise: through exercise I have lost 5 pounds this month, I have done that because my level is down to high normal, I have a calorie deficit of 1k a day . I have started to go to aerobics 4x a week (if everyone around me is working it, its hard to be unmotivated) bought a fitbit and try to get over 12k a day, and have a heartrate monitor because I read that my heartrate is lower than a healthy person because of thyroid (which I believe is true because of my burn vs mfp estimated burn). So with all that data so far I have forced off 10 pounds (the first few weren't on here). I think its possible we can all win. My goal now is to get to be better off than when I started before the gain.

Please add me if you want to I do not have many friends on here and I have my food logs public. I also have started to write blogs too.

Replies

• cnlee1
    cnlee1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have had the same thyroid disorder for over 20 years, which means I was in my early 20s when I was diagnosed. What I have found that works best for me is eating off the Paleo plan and weightlifting along with cardio three times a week. But if I had to pick two options of those I would pick the Paleo plan of eating and weight lifting it will help you tremendously, and it's free.