Quick question about Ketone readings

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
Ok so I' test my blood ketones every morning when I get up, before eating and generally after a good 12 hours of no food, usually more and the highest reading I've had is 1.5. I average around 1. This morning I forgot to take my reading before starting my bullet proof coffee (1 T MCT oil & 2T HWC), about half way through the cup I remembered & took my reading then. 2.2!!!

Now I'll be the first to admit I haven't quit wrapped my head around the numbers or how these ketones work, but would drinking half a BPC make my ketones go up that fast or can I actually have higher ketones today??

Replies

• GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that in order to get a proper reading you're supposed to put the stick into a cup (not a stream) of urine two hours after eating.

So yeah, first thing in the morning would be stronger and weaker as you drink more fluids.
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Can't remember the science behind it, but mct oil increases your ketone readings. So does coconut oil and to a lesser extent butter as both have mct in them.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ignore me, I can't find an edit button and I was thinking the sticks :)
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Can't remember the science behind it, but mct oil increases your ketone readings. So does coconut oil and to a lesser extent butter as both have mct in them.
    So here's the theory behind this observation (from Dr. Ron Rosedale)...

Our adipose tissue (fat) is saturated fat (long chain fatty acids). Coconut oil and MCT oil are processed differently than long chain fats in that they can go directly to the liver to produce ketones whereas the long chain fats must be processed through the lymphatic system first before hitting the liver. It is also noted that MCT fats are generally never stored (they're great for quick energy when using a keto diet). However, our body needs long chain fats for a number of processes, we cannot survive by MCTs alone. If we take all of this information we can arrive at a plausible theory that if you shift your fat consumption balance to more MCTs than LCTs, then when your body needs the long chain fats it will get them from your adipose tissue since it did not come from your diet. Note that ketosis greatly enhances this situation for our bodies since we're already fat burning machines 24 hours/day. Consumption of the MCTs keeps us satiated and the ketosis keeps rolling while our serum ketone level increases through the break down of our fat and the MCT conversion at the liver.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Ketone readings doesn't indicate fat loss, it just means the liver is producing ketones at a certain level. Add four or five spoons of coconut oil a day before and keep carbs low, you might end up with a ketone reading of 3.0 next day in fasting.
  • kristafb
    Options
    I've added fat today, extra BPC, one with coconut oil & one with MCT oil, and I had broth with coconut oil in it as well. Tonight I'm feeling a little nauseous from it all. I will be interested to see if it effects my ketone level in the morning.
  • SnowFlinga
    Options
    Well don't make yourself sick! It's well known that MCT fats can definitely impact your bathroom breaks (and not in a good way!). Lots of anecdotal evidence out there about slowly building up to higher levels of MCT intake to avoid living in your bathroom all day.

Also, ketone levels increase through the day and your highest readings will occur in the early evening. My advice is to get your blood ketone reading at about the same time every day and it's probably best to get the fasting reading first thing in the morning after you wake up.

I've noticed that after a day of hard exercise my fasting ketone reading is always the highest I ever measure. I skied hard yesterday and my fasting ketones measurement this morning was 3.6. I've never hit that level without a lot of exercise the day before. I think the highest without exercise has been around 2.4.
  • kristafb
    Options
    I only had about a tablespoon of MCT but I think the extra coconut oil as well was enough to make me nauseous. I've got a head ache too. a touch of keto flu? or just an oogy belly, hard to say. I was trying to up my calories to 1600 today (from 1400) mostly from fat but I'm barely over 1200 and I can't stomach the thought of another bite. Calling it a day, food wise.

My highest reading was after my normal walk & mowing the lawn ( big yard, heavy mower) so the exercise thing makes sense.
  • SnowFlinga
    Options
    Since we're talking about MCTs, here's a good scientific paper that lays out how MCTs help with combating obesity:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/3/329.full