Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
Post your June Goals here.

Replies

• likitisplit
    Options
    I have a race and a group run, but my goal is to consistently hit 15 miles per week and then start moving up to 20.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I want to continue alternating running (at least one longer run a week) and cycling throughout the month with a goal of at least 300 miles total.

I will "run" a 5k on June 21st with my friend (her first). I plan to stick with her for this race to offer moral support. She will almost be done with C25k by then and will move on to a 5 to 10k program.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I want to continue alternating running (at least one longer run a week) and cycling throughout the month with a goal of at least 300 miles total.

I will "run" a 5k on June 21st with my friend (her first). I plan to stick with her for this race to offer moral support. She will almost be done with C25k by then and will move on to a 5 to 10k program.

Supporting a friend through their first 5k is an awesome thing that every runner should experience. Good for you!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal for June is to run 100 miles during the month. I will be satisfied with 88 miles run, which would be my highest so far.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Sub-22 5K
    120 miles for the month
    Don't get injured
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    ~An injury free 10 NM race.
    ~Get to the dog park every day off work.
    ~Get better at XT.
    ~90 miles run for the month.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Run my first HM!
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Run a 10K(June 8th).
    Start serious strength training, no excuses.
    Start HM training(using Hal Higdon's novice 1 plan).
    Track food and eat enough protein.
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get in at least 40 miles running this month, provided my knee is okay.
    I also want to ride at least 50 miles on the bike, though probably more.
    Finally, I'd love to lose 4-5lbs but that may be asking a bit much with how slow it's been coming off ;)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled to graduate (C25K) the first week in June, but am sure I won't be up on 5K by then. I'll start the C25K+ until I've extended to 5K and thereafter somehow will continue to 10K (will have to see what feels fine).

I've kept an eye on my increasing total distance and am well on my way to becoming a statistics junkie. Per week I'd love to log about 12-15 km. This is my first official announcement regarding distance and it's freaking me out a bit. Hope I'll have fun, though :)
  • AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k, but am so slow that 30 minutes isn't enough time to finish 5k. I'm almost finished with a timed version of c210k, but am no where near 10 k. I would like to add in 1-2 more days of running and switch one day to just increasing distance/time for my longer run. I'm also trying out run/walk intervals with a faster pace than my comfortable pace. I want to build up slowly to avoid injury.

This will be the month where I try to figure out a regular schedule that works for me and allows me to keep adding distance. I think I'm at 8-9 miles running now and would like to be at 12/week by the end of June. Any recommendations/suggestions welcome. I like having a plan to follow, so am a bit worried that I won't be doing this right on my own.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I finished c25k, but am so slow that 30 minutes isn't enough time to finish 5k. I'm almost finished with a timed version of c210k, but am no where near 10 k. I would like to add in 1-2 more days of running and switch one day to just increasing distance/time for my longer run. I'm also trying out run/walk intervals with a faster pace than my comfortable pace. I want to build up slowly to avoid injury.

This will be the month where I try to figure out a regular schedule that works for me and allows me to keep adding distance. I think I'm at 8-9 miles running now and would like to be at 12/week by the end of June. Any recommendations/suggestions welcome. I like having a plan to follow, so am a bit worried that I won't be doing this right on my own.
    Why don't you try the NHS podcasts for C25K graduates, C25K+? They train for speed and distance.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I've been running for 18 months and haven't broken through to a 30 minute 5k. You can run with me, sweetie. I think Becky did the Galloway plan, I used the Runner's World SmartCoach app - which I wouldn't really recommend knowing what I know now, and most people seem to lean toward Hal Higdon's plans.

I don't think the 10k+ apps on the NHS site are that effective, though they are fun.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Run my first HM!

giphy.gif
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

I've been running for 18 months and haven't broken through to a 30 minute 5k. You can run with me, sweetie. I think Becky did the Galloway plan, I used the Runner's World SmartCoach app - which I wouldn't really recommend knowing what I know now, and most people seem to lean toward Hal Higdon's plans.

I don't think the 10k+ apps on the NHS site are that effective, though they are fun.

I had my one year running anniversary this month and I'm hoping to break a 35 minute 5K this summer. Right now I'm still pretty much focused on distance but once I get through my half marathon in June I want to start doing more speed work. I did the Hal Higdon 5K-to-10K novice plan after C25K. There are other programs that are probably better suited for building speed, but my focus at that point was building distance. I'm still (obviously) not very fast, but Saturday I ran 14 miles.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

This one? There are three podcasts:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/life-after-couch-to-5k.aspx
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

I'm another that has been running for a year, but still can't do a 5k in 30 minutes (or even close). But I am much faster than I was even 6 months ago. I don't think that you can do wrong by just slowly increasing the amount you run. Any of the plans that fit your lifestyle will work.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I used the distance version of C25k and 5 to 10k by RunDouble, so when I finished that, I was able to run 10k. I don't know if I'll ever be fast enough to run 5k in 30 minutes, but I don't really care about that!
  • likitisplit
    Options

This one? There are three podcasts:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/life-after-couch-to-5k.aspx

Yes. They are fun and are great to start cadence work, but new runners really need a schedule to help them increase mileage effectively.

The first goal for a distance runner is enough running to support a 90 minute long run once a week. When you move into and over the 90 minute range, you are specifically building muscle and fuel delivery to support the stamina needed to run longer distances.

Once you are into the 15-20 mile a week range (some would say "at or over 20 miles"), you have built enough of a running base to start speed work, which will build fast twitch muscle fibers and teaching you how to pace a faster race like a 5k. You learn how to run fast when you hurt, which gives you kick at the end of a race as well as building a bigger engine in general.

Going out and running 30 or 35 minutes and throwing in an occasional speed session isn't going to provide the programming you need as a new runner. That's not to say that they aren't great workouts - I bought Martin Yelling's Audiofuel cadence workout and will occasionally use it during a 45 minute run. It's a great tool. I'll also use the workouts to keep me focused during a "friendmill" session.

ETA - PLEASE don't mistake me for an expert. This is what I've gleaned and understand over the last year and a half - there is a reason behind each workout in a plan and these are the reasons that I know about. I haven't even read the primary sources like Jack Daniels. I've read a little out of "The Lore of Running." I haven't hurt myself.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    https://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/

I've heard mixed reviews about Coach Jenny's plans - they include walk/run programs. I did the Busy Girl's Half Marathon plan and had a good experience, though I probably would have been better off doing the Galloway plan.