Weak Core and Heavy Lifting?

Options
sixpacklady
sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
I have a weak core and a hanging squishy belly, thanks to my the 3 kids. I did SL for 4 weeks and got to a 95lb DL and 75lb squat, but got scared and stopped thinking that I might hurt my back as I have don't have much core strength.

So my question is should I do any other type of workouts to build up my core strength first and then start heavy lifting or can I do it right away hoping that I will not screw up my back if I am using correct form?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious, what indicators are you using that are telling you that you have a weak core?
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    I'm just curious, what indicators are you using that are telling you that you have a weak core?

thanks SS, few things actually...

I have a minor slipped disc problem which happened soon after my 2nd child was born 8 years ago. It doesn't cause any major issues for me now and i am really careful with my back because of it.

Also, my belly hangs, and for a strong core doesn't it have to be tight? Not a six pack or anything, but tight?

I also get back aches when I do tasks like loading dishwasher, bent down and sweep floor etc. It is temporary but it causes me to think that its happening because of lack of core strength.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My core got much stronger as a result of lifting heavy. I am very careful with form, but I'm certain that my trunk muscles were my limiting factor. As they've gotten stronger and my technique and mobility have improved the numbers have gone up pretty steadily.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Your core muscles will get stronger gradually with heavy lifting, but you need to have great technique to prevent injury. I would suggest including some exercises to improve core strength as well. Keep it balanced - exercises for abs, obliques, and back.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I dialed back a little on the weight and now am paying more attention to correct form. I also signed up for a TRX training course (im half way through now) I don't "love"it by any means but it's definitely helping me put some focus on my core stability. I'm excited to see how my numbers progress once I'm done.

There are a few people around here who have six pack abs without ever having done a single crunch or plank so I know it can be done with lifting alone - and I will do it too!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My core was incredibly weak when I started lifting - I spent about 80% of 2005 through 2010 in bed due to spinal problems - so you can imagine the atrophy.

It was heavy lifting for me that got my core strength back.

When I first started squats I seriously could NOT do the bar alone (45lbs) for 5 reps. Due to a lack of core strength. (My legs were strong enough, but not my core.)

Similar situation with deadlifts. It was sad, but I persevered.

It took a while, but I stuck to a 5x5 program 3 days a week and eventually got to the point where I could finally squat and deadlift my bodyweight for reps.

I still don't lift as heavy as some other guys my size - simply because I have spinal issues I have to take care of - and I'm pretty healthy and staying strong with squatting / deadlifting 225 on my regular workouts, even though I may be physically strong enough for more weight.

Bottom line - keep lifting - those compound exercises are fantastic. If you stall, or gains slow (they will).just do the weight you can do until you get stronger - because you WILL get stronger.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump. I want to see the replies.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Thank you all for the reply.

I think I should add some core exercises as well along with SL.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    My core was incredibly weak when I started lifting - I spent about 80% of 2005 through 2010 in bed due to spinal problems - so you can imagine the atrophy.

It was heavy lifting for me that got my core strength back.

When I first started squats I seriously could NOT do the bar alone (45lbs) for 5 reps. Due to a lack of core strength. (My legs were strong enough, but not my core.)

Similar situation with deadlifts. It was sad, but I persevered.

It took a while, but I stuck to a 5x5 program 3 days a week and eventually got to the point where I could finally squat and deadlift my bodyweight for reps.

I still don't lift as heavy as some other guys my size - simply because I have spinal issues I have to take care of - and I'm pretty healthy and staying strong with squatting / deadlifting 225 on my regular workouts, even though I may be physically strong enough for more weight.

Bottom line - keep lifting - those compound exercises are fantastic. If you stall, or gains slow (they will).just do the weight you can do until you get stronger - because you WILL get stronger.

Thank you for your reply.

Wow, that is an impressive story and and a great amount of weight lost. Congrats and best wishes for the rest of your journey!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are fantastic exercises for your core, and you definitely should not stop them if you have a core weakness. If you mean that you are having a form breakdown, then you should treat that as failure and deal with it the way your program prescribes. Furthermore, consider a switch to ICF 5x5 because it includes well programmed accessories that will help you develop a weak core.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    A saggy belly is just loose skin and fat, it has nothing to do with core strength. Furthermore, doing these compound exercises are what WILL build core strength. Not doing them is counterproductive. Some additional accessory work is fine but they are just that - accessories. The main lifts are 90% of the battle.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    A saggy belly is just loose skin and fat, it has nothing to do with core strength. Furthermore, doing these compound exercises are what WILL build core strength. Not doing them is counterproductive. Some additional accessory work is fine but they are just that - accessories. The main lifts are 90% of the battle.

Thanks for the input.

Agree that saggy belly is loose skin and fat, but the reason I am thinking that also contributes to a weak core is this - I herniated my disc after 2 months my daughter was born. This happened as I lifted a backpack full of books, maybe weighing around 20 lbs ( not sure, but it was heavy). I am sure that under normal circumstances, this lifting could not have injured my back. But at that time I had the saggy belly from child birth.

Anyone who has given birth knows how difficult it is even to cough for a few days because of this saggy belly, at least that is my experience...
  • powerpigeon
    Options
    You'd be amazed what stupid things can injure your back. We move in a lot of ways our backs aren't always happy about, and sometimes, something just 'goes.' I hurt my back years ago, thanks to a bad lift when I was dancing. Since then, it doesn't take much to throw it. According to my physio, she's had people in who've 'sneezed awkwardly' and hurt their back.
    Your best protection for that is a strong core. The stronger the muscles around your spine, the better a job they do of supporting and protecting it.
    My physio advised pilates, being mindful of my posture and regular stretching. If you're worried about aggravating an old injury, maybe go and see your GP, even if all it does is put your mind at ease.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    IMHO, there is absolutely no exercise on earth that engages the core more than a 1 Rep Max (1RM) deadlift. And I think it's a lot safer than 500 crunches. Done properly, it will engage nearly every muscle in your body. The other power lifts and olympic lifts engage the core completely as well. If it isn't, then you are doing it wrong. If your back hurts after deadlifting or squatting, then you are doing it wrong.

Keep lifting and focusing on proper form and your core will catch up. If your form breaks, treat that as a failure and reset. Once you get a year of deadlifting under your belt, you may still have a saggy belly but your core will be strong enough to keep your back safe.