liquid Splenda kicked me out of ketosis???!!!

motor58
motor58 Posts: 4 Member
Has this happened to anyone?

So I this morning first thing I was in ketosis, but after my coffee with liquid splenda I am not. I have not eaten anything else either.

Obviously I will not be putting splenda in my next coffee, or I might try WAY less first and see if that works.

I just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else? And if I were to go out of ketosis for this coffee habit-how much would it affect weight loss? Because I bet by evening I am back in..... I also only want to lose about 10lb so I know that isn't going to be easy.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• xcatsaxon
    xcatsaxon Posts: 43 Member
    All forms of fake sugars (according to most recent studies) make your body believe it is still getting sugar and thus reacts the same as you have ingested raw sugar (which makes it worse for diabetics and people trying to lose weight). The one thing I have had to do is quit sugar almost all together which is super hard but I have found that when I do want the occassional sweet drink I love the Steaz drinks are quite good. http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight-8-avoid-artificial-sweeteners <--- good article to consider. Not to mention, why put fake stuff in your body and make it work harder and possibly expose your health to things like rat poison and other chemicals that will harm you? Honey, Turbanado sugar in small quantities are of greater benefit and taste great too!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Has this happened to anyone?

So I this morning first thing I was in ketosis, but after my coffee with liquid splenda I am not. I have not eaten anything else either.

Obviously I will not be putting splenda in my next coffee, or I might try WAY less first and see if that works.

I just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else? And if I were to go out of ketosis for this coffee habit-how much would it affect weight loss? Because I bet by evening I am back in..... I also only want to lose about 10lb so I know that isn't going to be easy.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you.

Are you testing your blood for ketones or are you using urine strips?

What evidence do you have that this kicked you out?

I am not saying it didn't (it's possible, more likely with powdered forms though). I am just asking how you know. If you are testing urine, you can't be definitively sure that you were kicked out--a positive test means there are ketones but a negative test doesn't mean there aren't (only that they are too low to register). Your first excretion of the day is likely to have a higher concentration than later ones because they have been building up all night.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Urine strips don't measure BHOB, which really tells you if you are in ketosis or not. I wouldn't trust them to tell me if I am in ketosis or not. I can eat a cup cake made out of real sugar and still test positive with urine strips , let alone artificial sweeteners. But if I take a blood test reading after cup cake adventure, I never have been in ketosis.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Speaking of test strips, I went and ordered some Leonidas. They haven't arrived, yet.

I am going to see if they provide any new insight into things. Not sure if I can make them too much of a regular thing. They ended up costing me like $2.50 a test.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    I don't test every day, only when I experiment. They are very expensive to do daily tests.