Would Keto be good for me?

Smirnoff65
Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
Hi all, I'm absolutely fascinated by the Keto lifestyle although I haven't tried it myself, I started changing my own lifestyle at the beginning of this year, in the last 20 weeks I have lost 82lbs by keeping to a calorie deficit, exercising (mostly walking but that has progressed to jogging more in the past 6 weeks) and generally I feel great, have loads of energy, my blood sugars are great (I should have said I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic at the end of 2013). The question I have is with me getting close to the target weight I want to be would Keto be good for shifting the last of the stubborn flabby fat?

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    My first question before making a recommendation would be: How "great" is your glycemic control?

If your HbA1c is in the mid-to-low 5% range, that truly is excellent. If it's only "controlled" (IE: 6.0 to 6.9% range) I'd say keto is a good option for getting it back to normal.

If you've got normal HbA1c (FYI true normal non-diabetic ranges are between 4.6% and 5.4%) and you're steadily losing weight without keto, you don't *need* keto.

If your blood sugar is normal, whether or not you'll benefit from it would involve experimentation. (If it's not normal, you'd benefit :smile: ) It's certainly not hard to get there if you want to try. There's many threads, forums, websites, etc. dedicated to it.

Personally I find one of the BEST ways to GET into ketosis in a hurry is:

Day 1:
    1. Engage in a 12-14 hour fast. (Generally started the night before)
    2. Start at 20-30g total daily maximum of carbohydrate in your diet.
    3. Complete a good/strenous "all-over-body" (ie: every major muscle group) strength-training workout.
    4. Complete about 2 hours of moderate steady-state cardio.
    (Steps 3 and 4 are optional, but will speed up the process by further depleting both liver and muscle glycogen stores, causing the body to more-quickly adapt.)

Subsequent Days:
    Stay at 20-30g of total daily maximum carbohydrate
    If exercising, time your highest-carbohydrate meal/snack to be just prior to exercise.
    For improving insulin-sensitivity/glycemic-control your best exercises are HIIT and Strength-Training

Macronutrients: Typically men can get ketogenic on a ratio of 5/20/75 (carbohydrate, protein, fat) very easily. Women usually do better with less protein - around 5/15/80 seems optimum. Heavier exercises can eat a little more protein.

The process of keto-adaptation can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on your physiology and how quickly you personally adapt. It can be difficult for many people - the "low-carb flu" happens to most, but not all, of us - but it's temporary.

Once keto-adapted your capacity for steady-state cardio usually increases - but if you're diabetic, I personally recommend having the majority of your workouts involve either HIIT or Strength-Training. I engage in all three, because I do enjoy endurance cardio - I just limit it to once or twice a week at most.

Once keto-adapted you can also increase carbohydrate slightly to allow for greater anaerobic capacity when exercising. This is technically referred to as a TKD - targeted ketogenic diet. It's what I do, maintaining normal (non-diabetic) HbA1c levels but being able to exercise at high-intensity.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Thank you for the reply and the information, that is great stuff there, my bloods seem to in the normal area at the moment which would be close between 5-5.5% just the odd time it would be up over 6% and that would usually be when I have consumed alcohol (bad me lol). I'm going to research as much as I can over the next week or two and see what I can come up with in terms of recipes that would suit me, but I am seriously going to give this a try.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    If you like fats, meats and stuff like that you will fit right in to keto. If you want to get rid of tummy fat, the best way is Keto+ resistance training. If you can't go keto, do weight training on a low fat diet, you should still see some good results.